1974 Mercury 500 (50HP) Not peeing

Brynotron

Cadet
Gday again guys,

Now i know what your thinking another post on pee stream and your thinking check the Impeller Check the tube make sure its clear and check Thermostat right? .......

I have done all 3 Impeller is new tube is clear and there is no thermostat and she is still not spiting water i have mufflers on it and the hose on full and tried half cant get her to suck any ideas guys?

dwco5051

Commander
Re: 1974 Mercury 500 (50HP) Not peeing

Impeller to shaft key missing??

Brynotron

Cadet

Good call my friend nice think outside the box to be 100% hones with you mate i got the bottom end rebuilt by a certified mercury mechanic gearshift linkage and impeller so if the key is missing and i hope is not id not really know any other suggestions ???

carholme

Rear Admiral

Have you checked the pee hole for blockage? Mud daubers are notorious for nesting in there and they will block the flow. Run a length of weed trimmer line up the tube to make sure it is clear.

If the LU is off at present do you get any flow with the hose connected directly to the long water tube?

If you are operating in salt, when was the last time the cylinder cover was removed to check for build-up?

Have you removed the brass plug on the cover to see if you have flow through that point, item 26 here:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/449_13.cfm

Gerry

Brynotron

Cadet

Very good points Carholme,

I have had the hose, plastic fitting all the way to the brass piece at the bottom of the motor (i cant pull the brass out as its in bottom of cowl and is inaccessable but i have blown air through it and i could feel it coming out the water tube in the LU the LU is now back on i do run in salt water i have not had the boat in the water yet myself as i just purchased it second hand and finely got it running last night after 3 weeks of electrical troubleshooting.

the funny part is i had the nutorius holes in the water jacket cover you know around the spark plug item 25 on your list and when the motor first started it had water shooting out of the holes but not out the pee hole since that time i have welded the holes in water jacket and still no pee stream i will try the brass plugs tonight however the removal of the cylinder cover might be a last option as when i was searching for a new water jacket cover every body told me they don't make them any more and they in there words (rare as bat ****) on a 40 year old motor

thanks my friend if you have anything else to try please let me know.