Chrysler specifications

fucawi

Banned
am looking to purchase a Chrysler outboard on e bay in the uk but my boat is limited for transom weight ...where can I find specifications on 20 /25/35 hp motors cubic capacity and weight in particular ....thanks in advance

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Chrysler specifications

The factory manual would have that info.A pic of the motor would help.
They are not that heavy.The boat should tell what HP you could put on.In the US /Canada they have a sticker with the suggested max hp.Not sure about the UK.
No tag. Get a scale and take it with you when you are looking to buy.J

fucawi

Banned

thanks for that but when buying on the e bay you dont always go and have a look ....the decision on what motor to fit depends to some extent on the weight .

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Where the----

Chrysler engines are the simplest and almost always the lightest in their class. A 20 or 25 will weigh around 120 pounds. One person can lift it on and off a boat. The 35 was made in two different versions. A 35 will weigh either about 120 if it is the same block as the 20 and 25 or about 155 if it is the same block as the 35, 45, 55 series. this is for 20 inch long shaft engines. subtract about 5 pounds for 15 inch short shaft.

fucawi

Banned

so is the small block on the one with the plugs sticking straight out fore aft and the larger one with the plugs at an angle?? I have seen 105 lb quoted for the 20 hp so add a bit for the electric start.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Oh, yeah! I forgot. The weights I quoted are with electric start. Small block 35 has the plugs at an angle, almost 90 degrees to the head. Bigger block series have the plugs straight out towards the rear.

fucawi

Banned

Well all the smaller 20/25 s I have seen have the plugs straight out so are you sure you have it the right way around ....I think large block 35s have the plugs at an angle ..?? which is not what you said....( done to reduce the length of the unit ) Please confirm what is right ...thanks

Note while you were in bed ....bought a 35 hp ..only paid $45 complete with dual coil battery igniton ...3 1/2 hr drive to fetch it so we will see .....can break it and get my money back if it a bad un.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

102_6387.jpg102_6385.jpg102_6388.jpg102_6389.jpg102_6386.jpg

Well, since you seem to have trouble believing me, here are some photos. They are a little out of order but the small block has the angled plugs and the starter motor would be on the starboard side. The manifold is relatively flat and it uses a smaller carb -- I think 1 3/16 venturi.

The black engine is a Force 50 with the same head configuration as Chrysler.

The big block is the engine lying on the floor. Note the straight plugs and the higher manifold. It uses a 1 5/16 venturi carb. The starter motor mount is on the port side of the engine.

Now, mind you: chrysler made these engines for a number of years and may have made different configurations--perhaps for export trade. I haven't seen them all and probably won't in my lifetime.

The question in my mind though is: If you appear to know the answers, why are you asking the questions?

fucawi

Banned

not saying you are wrong at all but the information I had from this site on other posts and what I have seen over here examining photos of engines for sale lead me to the conclusion that the straight plug was the small block....anyway we will see...( the starter on the one I have is on the port at the front with the carb angled out the way) ..... have arranged to pick it up next thursday and will keep you informed...and thanks for all your help particdularly the photos.

fucawi

Banned

sorted out the reason I got it wrong ... I have a manual...prior to 1977 the 25 hp was about 350cc with angled plugs ..after that it was the 500cc unit with the straight plugs have arranged to pick it up ..cannot go wrong at $45

fucawi

Banned

Got the beast 588 cc and weight 150 lb so just on the limit for my boat but in truth too heavy. so at $45 will re furbish and sell on again....will now be on the look out for thesmaller and lighter 25 hp ...thanks everyone.

Nordin

Commander

The 588cc is the old largeblock 35Hp made from 1965-1975. 1976 the new 35Hp where intruduced with 559cc. The 25Hp hade 488cc.