whats the most important tools to have in boat!!!!

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
I have been boating for 25yrs now and the tools in your boat make or brake you! list yours and show pics if u want.

Attachments

• console pics 013.jpg
    console pics 013.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 0

Boatist

Rear Admiral
Re: whats the most important tools to have in boat!!!!

Only tools you need is tools you know how to use.
When I do my maintrnance I use the tools on the boat and if I need another tool I bring it out and use it then leave on the boat and replace the one I brought out to the Boat.
I carry a lot of tools
Screw Drivers, Wrenches, Pliers, Meter, Timing Light.
Spark plug set, Points and Condenser, Spark plug wire that will reach any plug. Extra Drain Plugs, Jumper wires. Two of every size fuses on the boat. Oil and Transmission Fluid.
Severals types of tape. Extra Belt installed around motor mount so if one breaks just slip on the new one and adjust.
Led Flashlight.
I do not carry tools to pull and engine or head as your not going to do it on the water.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

The most important tool on the boat is a clear head...;)

Other than that, just a basic tool kit, prop wrench if you keep a spare on the boat, a few cotter pins (just in case you swap the prop).

Blue2Green

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I keep a good set of basic tools, my meter (and spare battery), a tune up kit, and spare belts.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I carry the same small tool kit the airline pilots carry and a Boat US Unlimited towing card

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Cell phone with the neighbors' phone numbers pre-programmed into it. That way, I can call them to come tow me home. I always carry a 75-100' one inch tow rope that comes in very handy.

If I was going to trailer to another lake (if I had a trailer), I'd be carrying a second prop, big Crescent wrench and a big screwdriver to bend the tabs behind the prop nut. It doesn't hurt to carry a screwdriver and a spare fuel line, a spark plug wrench and a spare set of spark plugs.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

like all boating questions, the only good answer is "it depends."
On a small boat (12-14) pliers, screw drivers, plugs and wrench, small hose clamp, cables ties. If you have a shear pin, pins, cotter pins, nail punch and small hammer. Pull start rope.
Larger boat, more stuff, because (a) there's room for it and (b) more stuff to go wrong and (c) you may be further afield when you have trouble. Water seperator in a zip lock and filter wrench is a biggie.
If you boat in populated areas, you need less. If you boat alone in wilderness areas, you need more.
If you don't keep the boat in or beside the garage between trips, you keep more tools on the boat for convenience.

mjgates

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just carry the basics, but I am on a small lake and know a lot of boaters on the lake having a permanent campsite. A phone call and I have a quick tow. Basic tool kit (adjustable wrench, socket set with spark plug socket, hammer, screwdrivers, etc.), Jump Box, Tow Rope, extra plug, Spotlight, Duct Tape, bucket for emergency bailing, and First Aid (I know it's not a tool, but important to have on board).

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

A backup plan.

zzzzzzzz.jpg

And a hook remover.

87rx4l4sDY9soznoZHpieX_rdnmqkLN8ek5b_KMJx7CnsD8VY8P0adt4DchuFElJc7H1fR7kV4VPjxCwBlP2Ngio4RVKPZ82DJ9RSt78t6GiDlThxeq4f9t6G-qNntfxdqw51p6zehAbZVbRBcS1Gvk

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

I carry a pretty big tool box under the console,i own a 1971 starcraft with a 1979 70hp outboard and i need these tools,and the other boaters will never have to cut there day short around me if im there.I like to carry old fashion tools,not these newer ones like wrenches with ratchets inside,these wont fit many boat bolts due to clearance around bolts and nuts.so get a old fashion set of wrenches sae and mm and different size screw drivers and lenghts.These are handy to get into those little spaces.wrenches,vicegrips,adjustable wrench,multimeter tool,and even my power drill gun.also sockets both sizes and lenghts with extensions.also grab little odds and ends like small hosing,screws,nuts ,bolts,small pieces of metal and different kinds of marine sealer and tape.A file and wire cutters and needle nose pliers.make sure all these items are good ones not ones you buy at dollar tree ok.washers, spacers,small little left over pieces from carb kits and plumbing kits allways come in handy.so these are pretty much what i always have inside my boat.hope this helps people,yes and i also have batteries,flashlight,firstaid kit too but there in another box. my friends call me double check.

Art Bernard

Banned

common and phillips head screwdrivers, small socketset, adjustable wrench, linemans pliers, electrical tape, duct tape, wd-40, hammer, good knife, ring terminals, extra wire, fuses, small sample of stainless screws/nuts/bolts, vice grips, extra hose clamps. This is my boat tool box that fits nicely under my seat:)

Art

rickryder

Commander

I don't bring any tools.......plenty of them out on the water around me :eek: :facepalm:

Sorry had to say it! :D

jopes

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have been carrying enough tools that I could take the whole engine apart out on the water. I am just finding it easier to grab the tool bag from the truck and toss it in the boat and go, vs' making another tool set just for the boat right now.

I would like to have a tool set just for the boat, but it will come in time. Maybe when winter hits and I am waiting for the ice so I can go fishing again.

Andy'sDelight

Petty Officer 1st Class

I take only the tools I know that I can feasibly use out on the water. But most importantly, a VHF to call TowBoatUS if I need them.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

When I first glanced at this thread I thought it said "fools". DOH!!

A clear head, big Leatherman, set of plugs, shear pins. That isn't all, but the question is what is most important.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Can coolers and suntan lotion ?

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I don't bring anything with, I leave them in the truck. If the engine quits, what am I going to accomplish out on the water? Drop the outboard cover into the lake maybe. I'll nurse it to the dock or get a tow, put it up on the trailer and work on it out in the parking lot.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

I don't bring anything with, I leave them in the truck. If the engine quits, what am I going to accomplish out on the water? Drop the outboard cover into the lake maybe. I'll nurse it to the dock or get a tow, put it up on the trailer and work on it out in the parking lot.

Ok!, your starter falls apart 6 miles from the marina and you have little water,no food and your in a secluded cove way back in.Everyone passes you by and the ranger might get there in 3 to 4 hours but guess what,its me cruising by who just fixed my problem who happens to notice the same worried face and language from afar!no worries i got you covered.I will put your starter back togeather or tow you in no matter what mother nature calls upon us.