Spark Plugs: Do these look normal?

apace2

Cadet
I am having problems with the engine bogging down with acceleration and then it will quickly accelerate at close to full throttle. I rebuild the carb and fuel pump and replaced old fuel lines. I was looking at the spark plugs that were replaced last trip out. Are these the way they are suppose to look? They are QL77JC4 . I did noticed they were gapped at .03" instead of .04" like the manual recommends. Its a 1985 30 HP Johnson.

Picture 002.jpgPicture 001.jpg

jjacobs007

Lieutenant
Re: Spark Plugs: Do these look normal?

I am having problems with the engine bogging down with acceleration and then it will quickly accelerate at close to full throttle. I rebuild the carb and fuel pump and replaced old fuel lines. I was looking at the spark plugs that were replaced last trip out. Are these the way they are suppose to look? They are QL77JC4 . I did noticed they were gapped at .03" instead of .04" like the manual recommends. Its a 1985 30 HP Johnson.

View attachment 94295View attachment 94296

not normal, i see oil and such on them!

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Oil normal, the white not- looks like it's running lean!

robert graham

Admiral

The plug on the right does appear white/lean mixture...maybe adjust that carb a bit richer if possible. My Harbor Feight Spark Plug Sandblaster($15) continues to pay for itself over and over to clean carbon/deposits off plugs, outboards, mowers, etc. Good Luck!

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Tips both look lean to me, maybe it's the camera.

apace2

Cadet

The motor has one carb. The upper plug was the whiter one but they both had white deposits on the tip. I thought it might be a clogged jet but when I took it apart the carb looked pretty clean. I did my best to spray carb cleaner through all the passages but I didn't pop off the core plugs.

Is this engine new to you? Pull out main jet, then look at an OMC parts list. It should show you the number for the sea level jet for your carb, need model number and serial number to be verified first. Sometimes went through headaches trying to find the chart for higher elevation and telling the customer if they installed a high elevation jet, they could never come back down to sea level without putting that jet back in...never told them what to tell the person who bought the motor though. Ever wonder why they have signs that tell the current elevation on the side of the road...? If not new possible air leak at the intake manifold? Their is a gasket behind the carb right?