7.4 Volvo Stiff Steering

alindquist

Petty Officer 3rd Class
7.4GIPWTR
Serial 4110176452

Out Drive DP-SM
ratio 1.78
Serial 4112049663

The steering on my boat keeps getting progressively stiffer. Last year I noticed that my power steering pump was leaking so I replaced it with a used one. Stopped the leak but ever since the steering has stiffened up... I can still steer it but it feels like there is isn't any power steering at all. I'm not even sure where to begin. I was told that it could be the cable, or it could also be the "new" "used" pump is bad. Any tips on trouble shooting this before I start throwing money at it?

Thanks,
Aaron

alindquist

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 7.4 Volvo Stiff Steering

I should add that I have bleed the system and the belt is nice and tight...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

or it could also be the "new" "used" pump is bad.

If the steering wasn't stiff before you changed the pump, then it suddenly got stiff with a used pump installed, why would you suspect the cable suddenly went bad.

Put your leaky pump back on and see if it's still stiff. Then you will know for sure.
Unless you happen to have all the pressure gauges to check out the PS system.

alindquist

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't recall if the steering was stiff before or not. I'll have to see if I still have it laying around and swap it out. I do not have the gauges to test it. Is there a way to check the cable?

Don S

Is there a way to check the cable?

Remove it from the power steering cylinder completely, and see if someone can keep hold the inner cable from moving by hand. it should be hardly noticable to the one turning the wheel. If holding causes the steering wheel to turn hard, then the cable is bad.
Oh, and if it's froze up or hard to pull out of the steering cylinder because of corrosion, that's your problem. But that seldom happens with that type cylinder.

alindquist

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks don, do u happen to know what type of cable it is so I can price one out...

alindquist

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Another Question: If the power steering pump needs to be replaced would it matter if I put in an automotive pump and what style and what engine would I need to look for?
Trying to save a buck once again.

Don S

do u happen to know what type of cable it is so I can price one out...

Nope, that is something the boat manufacturer installs, has nothing to do with engine or drive.

Another Question: If the power steering pump needs to be replaced would it matter if I put in an automotive pump and what style and what engine would I need to look for?

The pump is the same as automotive, hard to say about the reservoir cover over the pump. They may be made for VP, i cant tell you. Take your old pump to an auto parts store and see if they can match it up.