Driveshaft spline mis-match between aq280 and 5.0L GM Motor driveshaft

repairs28

Recruit
I have a 1986 Bayliner Capri with a new 5.7L GM engine. I do not know the old engine part number. I am trying to install an AQ 280 outdrive on the boat, all mounts, boots, etc. line up perfectly but the driveshaft spline is fine tooth and the u-joint yoke on the outdrive 280 is a course tooth pattern and they dont match. I assume I need a driveshaft for the AQ series outdrive which I can acquire. My question is can I replace the yoke on the AQ 280 outdrive to match the fine tooth spline driveshaft coming out of the bell housing? I would rather replace the u-joint yoke then pull the engine to replace the drive shaft. Does anyone know what yoke part number I should use for this fine tooth driveshaft or what type of penta outdrive matches this fine tooth driveshaft? If I know what type of outdrive matches this driveshaft then I can probably match up the yokes to see if they're interchangeable The original engine out of the boat was a 5.0L, I believe the old outdrive was an AQ280 but I'm not positive, once again I do not have the original engine number or outdrive number.

thanks! John

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Driveshaft spline mis-match between aq280 and 5.0L GM Motor driveshaft

Yes, you can replace just the yoke, if you can find a used one. Volvo does not sell the yoke only anymore, only the complete ujoint assembly.

Attachments

• P-44-1-5.pdf
    33.6 KB · Views: 0

repairs28

Recruit
Re: Driveshaft spline mis-match between aq280 and 5.0L GM Motor driveshaft

Thanks for the info. Would you happen to know if the aq 280 is suiteable behind a 5.7L GM v8 engine? The last letter on the outdrive SN is B. I assume this gear ratio will work coupled to the v8? Thoughts?