frustrated...

mikel1291979

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have been working on the new (to me) boat for a couple of months now. I know that's not long, but the weather is right and I am tired of seeing boats getting towed down the road heading to the lake. Was supposed to be just a engine swap. That's replaced and then I find it's leaking water into the bilge. Might as well have turned a house on. That's fixed. Now I may have outdrive oil leaking into my drive bellow, and new motor is making a weird noise. Have not had the boat in water under power since the swap.
I'm thinking about just taking it to the lake and running her wot just to see what happens. I'm so tired of working on this thing. I know I won't do that, but I'm beyond frustrated at this point.
what do you do when this feeling of despair hits?

Brentathon

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: frustrated...

I either motivate myself and continue to work-out the problems........make it into a challenge.
Or, no shame in throwing in the towel.......cut losses, sell boat, and quit hobby or upgrade to a different boat.

I have been frustrated, although, I often think about how much I've learned owning/fixing an "aged" boat that's sits in saltwater 7 months out of the year.

I'm sure someone will say it....so I'll just take care of it now.

Beer.

Just think of the great days on the water you'll have drinking a beer under the sun. Makes it all worth it.

Seems I'm fixing my boat all the time. It was "new to me" last year and is full of projects. I try to do most of them at the dock since I'm in the water all season so at least I get the water/beer thing. May not do much moving but that's been OK.

Good luck!

QuietRider21

Seaman

walk away from it for a while..start fresh...i know the frustration... not knowing, i just bought a boat with a bad piston. the owner claimed it ran 'great".it did run, but after a compression test found a dead cylinder. so now i have to stare at my boat in my backyard until i come across a reasonably priced outboard..

jeffkrieger

Seaman

when frustrated i do 1 or 2 things.1-get on my motorcycle and go for a ride.this puts the earth back on its axis.2-laugh if you will -but sit and pet my cat.he is so calm all the time he just makes me feel good.
after these things the frustration has disappeared.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Grab some beer, put it in a cooler and sit in the boat in the driveway.. (I've done it) Makes life much better.

Keep plugging away, you'll get it done.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

or you can point and laugh at someone who is worse off.... I've been working on mine for 18 months and am not on the water yet..... I'm close but you have quite a bit of time to still beat me..... If you wanna laugh at me for a bit that's ok.. just don't look back as I'll be crying lol

Art Bernard

Banned

Walk away from it, grab the AK-47 and go blow away 100 rds, than come back and start over with a fresh perspective, also show the boat the AK-47, sometimes it works:)

Art