1974 Outboard questions.. advise

aeilers

Cadet
I have a 1974 -75 Johnson 70hp that I bought a few days ago... I have a few questions.

First question is it does not have power tilt trim. Is it possible to get power tilt for this engine or will it cost to much to do so?

2nd, I am having some trouble with the motor turning. I disconnected the steering cables and all that. tried to manually turn the motor it will turn but not at ease.. It seemed to get easier the more I wiggled it back and forth but still not easily...
I noticed a grease fitting near where the lower unit starts I tryed to pump a little grease in there. Any other things I should grease?

3rd thing, if I were to get new controls are there some that are universal? or not for that old of motor?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1974 Outboard questions.. advise

1. 1974 power tilt and trim (long shaft) is part number 172670. 1975 is part number 172859. Both are listed as No Longer Available.

2. Grease it and work it. If it doesn't free up, you have a significant repair job on your hands. Is it a salt water motor?

3. There are a couple of different style controls (side mount, top mount, etc). But they are pretty much dedicated to the motor because of the electrical harness.

aeilers

Cadet
Re: 1974 Outboard questions.. advise

Yes it is a salt water motor. I only messed with it a few hours after I got it.
It seemed to loosen somewhat.
Is that the only grease fitting? Or is there only ones that go to that part of the unit?
Anywhere else I can try putting grease?
The guy I bought it from mentioned something bout heating up some area right around where the grease fitting is at?
I hope I dont have a major issue