89 bayliner 85 force motor wont start, crank or turnover...

89 Bayliner

Recruit
I've had this boat for some time now and know most of the ins and outs. I took it down to the dock one day to take it out. It's always took a few min to start, but this day it seemed much longer. It eventually started cranking slower and slower until it would crank halfway real fast and then slow down, and then it stoped. Now it wont even make a noise when I turn the key. I took the battery to get tested they said it was fine i checked all the connections. The thing I thought was funny was the motor now raises really slow which makes me think it is the battery. Ive only had the battery for a year. Since it's not making any noise when I turn the key I think it's the starter. I also read on iboats that there is a way to bypass the starter but i cant find the chat anymore. Any information would help THANKS!:facepalm:

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 89 bayliner 85 force motor wont start, crank or turnover...

I would double check your battery cable connections again. Need to check the positive battery connections on the starter solenoid and the negative battery connection where it is attached to the engine block. Don't just do a visual check. Remove the cables, clean off with a wire brush and re-attach.

You can by-pass all the battery cables and the starter solenoid with a set of automotive jumper cables to see if the starter itself is bad. Turn the ignition key to the "OFF" position to prevent the motor from starting. Connect one end of the jumper cables to a know good tested battery. With the other end, connect the negative cable to a good engine ground like the block itself. With the remaining positive cable end, briefly touch it to the battery terminal on the starter. Caution, you'll see a pretty good size arc. This is normal. The starter should engage and spin the motor over. If not, the starter is probably not working properly. You can take it apart and clean/replace the brushes and commutator. If the windings are bad, you'll have to have it re-built or buy a new one. If it does spin the motor over normally, then you have either a bad negative or positive battery cable, bad battery cable connection, or a bad starter solenoid.

89 Bayliner

Recruit
Re: 89 bayliner 85 force motor wont start, crank or turnover...

Well good news! I was able to take it out last weekend! I did another inspection on the cables from the battery, there were dirty. Your right I did take the cable apart and trimmed them up a bit and there was more corrosion underneth the plastic. At first I couldnt get anything to work after cleaning it. I had it jumped out with the truck, tested the volts I had good power through all the wiring.I Thought it was the battery agian. Then I tried to jump it like you said (to bypass the starter) and it started. So before I was about to put it away I turned the key one more time just on the boat battery and it started right up. So I would assume it was the cleaning of the wires but it could have been the boost from the jump? Thank you for the help!!!! And Thank you for the help!