Low-e windows can act like a magnifying glass

Local news station covered this story recently: (video clip at the link)
http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/local_news/northwest/windows-have-neighbors-feeling-the-heat

(WPRI) - This is one of those stories you have to see to believe. It all started with a call from a local homeowner who says his neighbor?s windows are reflecting sunlight onto his home, causing his vinyl siding to melt. We decided to take a closer look.

There was no mistaking what house we were looking for on Rodman Street in Fall River. It was the house that was melting. "What the heck is going on," asked homeowner David Santos when the problem first started. "Until I stood in front of it and felt the heat on my face and looked up at the window, and there it was."

Interactive: Energy efficient window concerns
David took pictures, telling Eyewitness News he felt he needed proof of what he was witnessing, or no one would believe him. He says the sunlight was bouncing off his neighbor?s windows and right onto the side of his home, right where his siding was warping.

David asked both the vinyl siding company and a building inspector to look at his home. He says both agreed the problem was coming from his neighbor?s double pane windows! "It's very uncomfortable," says Santos, "very intense."

They're called "low-e" windows, and they are required by some building codes because they're energy efficient. However, as we've learned from the National Builders Association, sometimes these windows can act like a magnifying glass and reflect too much heat onto nearby homes.

Ed Ladouceur, a window and vinyl siding expert, says "this heat that's reflecting off the glass, if it reflects at the right angle, if all the conditions are just perfect... it causes the vinyl to buckle."

David Santos bought an infrared temperature sensor, and captured an image of the heat on his home at 204 degree Fahrenheit on one particular day. According to the Vinyl Siding Institute, normal grades of vinyl siding begin to soften at just 160 degrees.

We dug deeper and found this same problem is happening to homes nationwide. Both the Vinyl Siding Institute and the National Association of Home Builders acknowledge the problem, but say it is not widespread.

The Window & Door Manufacturers Association says "We're aware of the issue and continue to investigate it since there is no definitive cause of the phenomenon, and many factors can impact the performance of vinyl siding."

Gerry Brady owns a thermal imaging service called Infrared New England, and says he's inspected other homes throughout our area with the same melting siding problem. "It isn't something I would expect should happen," says Brady.

So what's a homeowner to do? Eyewitness News reached out to the vinyl siding industry which says its products are not defective. We reached out to the window industry as well.

They tell us they're aware of the issue, but says there is no definitive cause. "I called the Mass. Department of Public Safety," says Santos, "the building inspectors, fire inspectors. By the time I was done, I was back to square one... nobody knows the solution."

One solution we're told, is to cover the double-pane windows with a full screen to diffuse the reflected light. David Santos is lucky; his neighbor did just that for him. As for other homeowners, the National Association of Home Builders recommends putting up tall shrubs to block the sunlight off the neighbor?s windows.

oddjob

Commander
Re: Low-e windows can act like a magnifying glass

Efficiency windows causing climate change..ILMAO!!!! Not trying to get tha thread closed...but this is the first real case of man made Blankity blank....:)

bigdee

Commander

I have witnessed the same phenomenon. It was on a modular home display model,super nice home at $350K with super efficient low-e windows. The heat reflected off these windows onto another display model that had Crane Board siding and melted it. This problem has been resolved by the window manufacture so it is not an issue now with NEW windows.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

Seems to me that they are acting more as a mirror than a magnifying glass. A magnifying glass will not reflect light. It will focus it. I was hoping for a story about bugs getting burned into the carpet.:D:D

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I have seen some windows that would reflect light and are concave. I can see the concave-ness from 100 feet away.
Seems the windows must have a strong vacuum between the panes which helps the energy efficientcy.

This story reminds me of my snowbirding parents going back north in the spring.
Four door sedan loaded up with just room for the two of them up front.
They get home and unload.
Dad discovers the headliner behind the front seat has this weird swirly style burn tracks that looks like 1/4" wide spagetti about five feet worth total.
The dealer thought it was a shorted and burned wire to the dome light.
Nope, no logical explaination, replaced headliner.
Next fall they load up to head south for the winter.
The last things to be loaded on top of everything in the backseat is stuff that goes into the overnight hotel at the end of the day.
The very last thing Mom tosses in onto the back window "dash" is her magnifing makeup mirror.
uh-oh.

bassman284

Commander

Well, yes, a mirror but they are acting as a parabolic mirror even though the windows are clearly flat. Interesting.

JRJ

Commander

Guy across the street is puzzled why his composite deck material is warping??? Might just be his west facing windows shining on it. Glad we are stucco and wood.

vfrkent

Seaman

You have to remember on thermal pane windows they are flushed with argon or some other gas between the panes and then sealed up, fixed pressure between the panes, then you have a high pressure move in which means sunny Sky's and that slight change up in pressure on the out side of the panes makes them bow in or concave and you have a magnifying mirror.

Regards,
Kent

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like a job for Mythbusters...

mommicked

Lieutenant Commander

I have experienced the effect.I was working at a new high dollar condo/apartment building under construction, w these windows last summer.I was standing in a courtyard of the 5 story bld.in full sun on a hot day when I felt a hot burning sensation on my left arm and face.I looked around to see what was up and I noticed the glare from some of the many large windows up above me.If you stood in the right spot it was very uncomfortable and hotter than the direct sunlight for sure.