Evinrude 225 smoking at idle/ losing prime/ excessive oil use

generallee01

Cadet
I have a 99 ocean pro 225 on my old mako thats been acting up. It's smoking a bit at idle and using ALOT of oil. It also loses prime while underway in a no wake zone. Dies, I prime it and it starts right back up and runs for a few minutes. Doesnt seem to have any issues with fuel starvation at WOT. I'm pretty confident I can eliminate sucking air at least up to the spin on filter. I put a new fuel tank, anti siphon valve and all fuel lines in overr the winter. Now....it was giving me this problem before any of that, but my tank was certainly shot anyways. The VRO is original, and as far as I can tell....the oil lines and all are all fine. I'd rather not just go ahead and replace the VRO and hope for the best, and neither do I want to disconnect it. POssibly sucking air at the spin on fuel filter housing?!? What other possibilities? Any way to pull a vacuum on the VRO to check it or something? Thanks for the help guys......-Pat

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Evinrude 225 smoking at idle/ losing prime/ excessive oil use

To be completely honest with you. If you think you have an air leak you need to start at the carb/fuel rail and work your way back all the way to the tank. Inspect every connection for cracks and loose hose connections.

A though, if you want. Unhook the fuel line at the carb/fuel rail, hook up air line, very low pressure. Like residuel pressure in the tank after a couple of days of sitting. 3-4psi range. And give it a shot of compresses air. Back feed the lines with compressed air. You should be able to see the leak. But warning! You will need to bleed the oil lines of air before starting the motor.

Just a thought

generallee01

Cadet
Re: Evinrude 225 smoking at idle/ losing prime/ excessive oil use

Thanks Jeff.....I'm fairly confident I've been through pretty much everything. zi was hoping for a way to check the VRO.....any other suggestions? Thanks! -Pat