2002 nissan 4 stroke carberator.

b.reeder

Recruit
i have a 2002 nissan 4 stroke that was not running at all. i cleaned out the carberator and now she purrs like a kitten. while i was cleaning it out i saw in the carb a rubber plug next to the jet in the center of the float. I removed the plug and cleaned the inside out. when i sprayed carb cleaner through it i saw fluid come out 5 tiny holes next to the butterfly valve. i was wondering what this is.

dtj

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 2002 nissan 4 stroke carberator.

i have a 2002 nissan 4 stroke that was not running at all. i cleaned out the carberator and now she purrs like a kitten. while i was cleaning it out i saw in the carb a rubber plug next to the jet in the center of the float. I removed the plug and cleaned the inside out. when i sprayed carb cleaner through it i saw fluid come out 5 tiny holes next to the butterfly valve. i was wondering what this is.

Probably a manufacturing or cleanning port for fuel/air pathways....................before they used to be plugged with brass or lead slugs that had to be drilled out, now maybe they are using rubber plugs in order to facilitate easier cleanning as you have successfully demonstrated...............Don

pvanv

Admiral

Year means nothing for servicing a Tohatsu/Nissan OB; Model/Serial is everything. You did not mention model. Assuming you have some sort of NS9.9/15/18. The rubber plug closes off fuel flow to part of the jet and emulsion tube area, and is removable so you can unscrew/change the jet, and access/clean that area. If you neglect to replace it, the carb will run super-rich.

b.reeder

Recruit

thanks, i thought that might be it but wasn't sure.

b.reeder

Recruit

thanks. that explains a lot. if you don't mind i would like to get the model and serial # and see if you can tell me how to check the rpms. it runs good but the idle seems to be a little of. i called a local dealer and all he tells me is to bring it in.

pvanv

Admiral

Exact idle speed specs depends on the model. You would use a good shop tach to set/verify idle. If the idle is too fast, the motor will "slam" into gear; too slow, and it may stall when going into gear.