69 sportwin 9.5

recrunner

Recruit
Picked this motor up for free, starter gear broken, spark plug wires damaged, slow idle mixture knob missing, choke linkage retrofitted, steering friction boss broken. Fixed all the above except steering friction. The question I have is should the powerhead move aft with wot setting? This one does causing choke to close, causing low power. Removed the choke linkage and now runs fine at high power. Has anyone seen this before? Thanks

ONERCBOATER

Chief Petty Officer

Midnight Krawler

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 69 sportwin 9.5

Probably have bad motor mounts. That's very common on these motors. A quick fix is to wedge the power head over and slide piece's of rubber down inside the housing. Believe it or not this works real well.

It's an old motor what do you expect.

Timguy

Seaman

The MK is right. Really fine little motors but never idled the smoothest. The 10's were better in this respect. Mounts got oiled up and failed, check to see the fastening bolts for the front mounts didn't fall out. They are located near the pivot tension area and go through the front of the shroud (lower). The pivot tensioner gets loose in its chamber and you have to take the lower housing halves apart to correct it. I've done lots.....its a common problem with the "Stubbies" or "Pumpkinheads". I recondition these and normally they bring $450 to $500 with my one year warrantee. The powerheads are pretty "bullet proof" but the upper crank seals will fail on them.....mostly due to alcohol in the fuel. You can replace the seal with careful effort and they cost only $10. Mice really love to nest in these because of perfect access opening and generous accomodations. They love to chew on the crankcase tube, fuel line (carb feed) and plug wires. All in all, this is one neat little motor, full of innovations and futuristic engineering. I run 'em up near 100:1 on Amsoil and they really hold up. They will still run pretty decent with only about 60 psi compression. Take care, Tim

recrunner

Recruit

I did not even expect the motor to run, but with some tinkering around this little motor runs great, I am very impressed with it. Will do the rubber wedges for now until fishing season slows, Thanks to all of you with your replies.

Rick.

Captain

Great advise above but please understand 100/1 from Tim is ok as long as you use amsoil which is a synthetic oil. 50:1 if your using regular oil. Best of luck. Rick.