2000 John 35 hp Shuts down after start up!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrog70

Recruit
Carbs have been cleaned, This is a 3 cylinder. model. the motor will start up and restart with ease run about 10 or 15 sec then die. Loose fire die...like kill switch die(bypass kill switch still same condition), it does have fuel to all 3 carbs. So with all that being said I think its ELEC. problems. Are there any (simple)test I can do on stator, cdi ,etc. I don't have any thing but a multi-meter to check with.

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: 2000 John 35 hp Shuts down after start up!!

What is the model # of the outboard? I know it is 3 cylinder but there are differences between the manual start and electric start outboards.

jrog70

Recruit

Its J35R3SSB, I also see a motor family # if you need that also.

hidef

Lieutenant

Does your warning LED light up when the outboard is running? I am wondering if one of the sensors is causing an issue.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

Does it lose spark when it dies? I have a 1999 johnson 35 j35TEL3EEM and it has died (lost spark) on me twice now. Both times it started again before I could start testing anything. I pulled the cover, and put tools in the boat so I could test it when it happened again, and now it seems to run fine.

So far the symptoms I have found are: No spark on all 3 cyls. Motor temp seems irrelevant, as it happened once cold and once after it was running for a while. No warning light.

Sorry, I'm sure post won't help you much, but I am interested in what you find the problem to be.

hidef

Lieutenant

Wifisher,

A loose safety lanyard can cause an intermittent problem like that. If it was bumped it could have killed your outboard.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

Wifisher,

A loose safety lanyard can cause an intermittent problem like that. If it was bumped it could have killed your outboard.

Thanks, I did try to wiggle it when it died, and didn't help, also played with it while running, and didn't die.

Hopefully if it happens again, I can do a little testing before it starts again. I hate intermittent things.

jrog70

Recruit

All 3 cyl. best I can tell it just shuts down. It will not run at all so it is happen all the time, also I bypassed the kill switch... dont think thats it. No warrning light just starts and shuts down 5 or 10 secs.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

To test power pack:

Check the power pack cranking output first as follows:

Set the peak reading voltmeter to read positive on the 500 volts scale.

Twist and pull the primary lead from the power pack off the ignition coil. Install the Stevens PL-88 load adapter connecting the red end of the adapter to the primary wire lead and the black end of the adapter to a good engine ground.

Connect the black DVOM lead to a good engine ground also, then connect the red meter lead to the red end of the test adapter (where it connects to the primary wire).

Crank the engine and observe meter reading, it should be 100 volts or higher. Record the results, remove the test adapter and reconnect the wiring. Repeat the cranking output test for each of the remaining ignition coil outputs from the power pack.

Interpret the meter readings as follows:

If the meter reads at or higher than specification, but the ignition is not performing properly for the spark test, check the Ignition Coil as detailed in this section.
If the primary lead has no output, check the Charge Coil as detailed in this section (if not already tested earlier). If the charge coil is good, then visually inspect the optical sensor for dirt, debris or damage. If no visible sensor damage is found, the only method for testing whether the problem is the sensor, encoder or power pack is to substitute a known good component (one at a time) until the system operates properly.

To check the power pack under load, at engine speeds where intermittent problems are noted, proceed as follows:

Connect a source of cooling water to the engine, as detailed under Flushing the Cooling System in the Engine Maintenance section.

If the engine is to be run at speeds over 2000 rpm, it must be mounted in a test tank using a suitable test wheel or placed in the water to prevent possible overspeed and damage which could occur if the engine was run on a flushing device.

Install a terminal extender to the primary terminal of the ignition coil whose power pack signal is being tested.

Set the peak-reading DVOM to read positive 500 volts scale, then connect the black meter lead to a good engine ground and the red meter lead to the metal portion of the terminal extender.

Double-check to make sure the test leads are routed so they will not be damaged by rotating parts, then start and run the engine. If the engine is to be run above high-idle, allow it to warm before advancing the throttle.

With the engine running, power pack output should be at least 240 volts and should remain steady at a constant engine speed. If a problem has been noted at a particular engine speed, attempt to duplicate the symptom while observing the meter. Output must not dip below the specified voltage output for engine running conditions. Repeat the running output test on the power pack signals for the remaining engine coils.

If the meter reads less than specified, test the Charge Coil (if not done already), as detailed in this section. If the charge coil is good, then visually inspect the optical sensor for dirt, debris or damage. If no visible sensor damage is found, the only method for testing whether the problem is the sensor, encoder or power pack is to substitute a known good component (one at a time) until the system operates properly.

Reconnect all wiring as removed for testing.

Hope this helps.

jrog70

Recruit

Okay, I have ordered the Stevens PL-88 load adapter. It should be here in next day or so. Thanks alot for the info.

jrog70

Recruit

Okay, check coils... good, Compresion 160, 156, 158 think that is good someone said i need to go under flywheel check stator for nick in wires. This is about to whip me just about ready to fork out cah and take to a boat shop.

Darb

Recruit

Hi just wanted to see how you went with this problem as I own a 1999 35hp Johnson as well and mine has started doing the same thing it has been the best motor I have had starts first time every time all of a sudden at the boat ramp stopped after a minute now keep happening it wont start for ages then when it does start runs for a minute and stops except when the mechanic comes it will stop then when he goes to test it it will start and run for 30 minutes . I have a outboard mechanic out and it stumps him. He cant diagnose it until it stops and wont start again.

hidef

Lieutenant

Please start your own topic and include the model number of your outboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.