bondo-glass or peanut method??????

94celebrity

Cadet
Hello I have been reading many forums on stringer repair, and I just was wondering when working the fillets with the peanut butter method, can you use the long hair bondo glass that you would buy at the local auto parts place instead???? Thanks

rickryder

Commander
Re: bondo-glass or peanut method??????

The long fibers make it hard to work with.... I like the PB myself or PL adhesive for fillets.

BTW Welcome to iboats!

94celebrity

Cadet

Thanks, i enjoy reading the forum. I have a 1994 celebrity status that is a total wreck under the deck. The stringers are garbage. I have the time and facilities to fix it. I was wondering does everyone usually get their poly resign from us composits. I would like to know where is the cheapest that i could get at the most quanity.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Yeah the long hairs are a pain.

I'm not happy with PL either.

You can make peanut butter, resin gel and short strand work or just use polyester body filler. I know lots of people have issues with using filler because all the catalogs say not for use under the waterline, but it will work fine.

I get most my supplies from my local body shop, they may or may not carry everything at yours, here I'm surrounded by boat manufacturers so they supply them with stuff.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, NSBCRAIG is right...Check with your local Marine Shops or body shops and see where they get their stuff. www.uscomposites.com is a GREAT source but depending on where you are shipping can be expensive at times. If you can get it locally it can sometimes be cheaper. I too, recommend mixing your own PB. You can then dictate the consistency thay you like to work with. I like mine to be somewhere between mayonaise and creamy peanut butter. Can't get that from a CAN!!!!

94celebrity

Cadet

I went to the local supplier and they didn't even know what 1708 was, and for the resin they said that it was on sale for 44.00$ a gallon. I said I can get that at wal-mart for 38.00 a gallon. So what 5 gallon resign from us composites do you guys usually get, and to they sell the fibers and cabosil to make the pb?

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Ouch! I pay $24 a gallon.

They don't carry 1708 either though just mat and cloth, I got a roll from Jamestown Dist.

saltwaterbluefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I prefer epoxy, but that is a very different subject, and will atleast double your cost. US Composites does sell cabosil and the fibers. I prefer cabosil in the 5 gallon size which should be enough to get through laying in stringers. If you buy the cabosil make sure the wind is not blowing and try mixing it in a large container vs. volume so you don't lose as much when mixing. Also mix a little in a 18 oz cup to get a fill for how much you need to add for each oz of resin to get the thickness you want.

Psiclown

Petty Officer 1st Class

You could try Bondo-Glass. It's the same thing with short strand fibers. Not so goopy to work with. The long strand is Bondo-Hair.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Get the 404 or 435 resin from uscomposites. Mixing your own PB is MUCH cheaper than buying Bondo products and a much better product in the end, but that is just my opinion.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

As Wood said about making your own PB/Mayo mix.

Not only can you make the consistency the way you desire..but its also about Working Time ;) .

That cream hardened outa the can stuff can cure off before your ready ..

YD.

rickryder

Commander

When I first started to look for resin at body shops,auto stores and the big box stores they all contained wax..... you don't want to sand between layups..... unless you like grinding glass ;)

Friscoboater

Captain

Both Yacht doctor and rick are right. Make your own.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander

I have used Bondo-hair several times. I got it dirt cheap. Resin sticks well to it. I am used to working with it so kickoff on the board is no big deal. This stuff is stout.

94celebrity

Cadet

Thanks for the replies to the question that In had. I will be starting the tear down this winter and will be posting some pictures so you guys can cheer me along. I have been watching several posts on this and especially the sea ray 220 project. He and many other of you that put pictures and explanations and your input on these topics are very important to people like me. THANKS AGAIN and watch for 94 CELEBRITY this winter...........

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Better watch how you throw around that "winter" thingy :D .. you might cause a panic !

Looking forward to some Southern Hems out there this SUMMER !! ;) think warm fuzzy thoughts lol ..

redfury

Commander

I liked using Everglass from Evercoat for a short strand body filler. It was easy enough to mix and work with.

The important thing is, BUY FRESH RESIN. Anything sitting on a shelf at a Walmart or Auto store has been sitting there for ??? Resin has a shelf life...the fresher the better. We want this project to be easy, not harder than it has to be.