Engine Stalling

unnamed

Cadet
My omc 2.3 cobra is stalling when I go to gun it to pull up a wakeboarder etc, anything ovewr like 3 mph it will die unless someone mess;s with the linkage on the carb until its gets going. I have replaced the fuel filter. The boat dies when idiling at 5 rpm, and now doesnt wanna crank unless someone is back there to mess with the carbs linkages. We noticed some rust near the bottom of the carb, and some water on it. So we replaced the fuel fuelter first hoping it would work, and drained the old gas and put new gas in. Seem to have started to run, and idle better out of water in a large bucket. Now the engine will not start or idle unless someone is pushing up and down on the carb linkages for it to start. If we try to gun it or move forward faster the engine will die unless someone keeps there hand back there on the carb, till it boat gets going. Once it gets to going we have no problems running all the way up to 45 MPH +. SO do you think this is a carb issue my friend adjusted a link to get 10 rpm and it idles now kinda, but I still think we need to rebuild the carb maybe. the carb is a Rochester 2 barrel part number 17086107, which i see they have rebuild kits for it. If it is a carb issue how hard is it to rebuild a carb? Is there any rebuild links or sets that come with instructions only kit ive seen is made by mallory marine, and im not sure if it come with rebuild instructions.

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant
Re: Engine Stalling

That carb is cake to rebuild.. You need instructions? Get a manual.. The kit may or may not come with some instructions..
You get 45+ MPH out of that motor? Whats that engine in? A row boat?

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

x2 on carb rebuild. If you can see rust in carb it needs it.

unnamed

Cadet

Its a 89 Bayliner not really a large, or heavy boat if you ask me, but I verified the speed with my GPS unit. I can get it to about 40 on really choppy water, on days where the water is calm it hit around 45 max. But I appreciate the help I'm gonna order this carb kit off Ebay, as none of my local dealers had the kit instock. They said it would be around a 3 week wait :eek:

if I have any trouble I'll be back once again thanks alot :)

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Its a 89 Bayliner not really a large, or heavy boat if you ask me, but I verified the speed with my GPS unit. I can get it to about 40 on really choppy water, on days where the water is calm it hit around 45 max. But I appreciate the help I'm gonna order this carb kit off Ebay, as none of my local dealers had the kit instock. They said it would be around a 3 week wait :eek:

if I have any trouble I'll be back once again thanks alot :)

Iboats didn't have it? Find that hard to believe... Whats that??? :phttp://www.iboats.com/mall/partfind...gd_poid=112097&gd_row=34&**********=615950903

You know NAPA can order all that sierra stuff.. Takes my NAPA dude about 3 days and he calls when my goods are ready... EBAY isn't always a good choice on such things. You never know what you will get from some dingle berry on there... I have found sites like iboats and some of the others have stuff cheaper or close to the same price(trust me I order plenty of parts.. I have a old OMC too:facepalm:)... Iboats often runs specials:D... Being a holiday coming up.. I wouldn't be surprised to see one pop up... Support your boat forum..