1960 Johnson QD 10 hp

Herm71

Cadet
I just bought an old Johnson QD 10 hp engine. The guy I bought it from said it ran and everything worked. I did get it running, not right but it is running. My problem is there is no reverse. Forward is OK but when I put it in reverse it is in netrual!! When I put it in netrual it goes forward and in forward it goes forward. Any ideas on what is wrong?

Timguy

Seaman
Re: 1960 Johnson QD 10 hp

There is an adjustment on the shift lever, just loosen the screw and find the "sweet spot" in the slot so you are in neutral when in the center detent of the shift/lock arm. If you lift the shift lock/detent arm away from the following pin on the shift lever, it will allow you to "feel" for sloppiness in the linkage and to see where you sit regarding adjustment. If the lock/detent arm is bent or warn to far away from the base of the following pin on the shift lever, it will not allow adequate travel for the shifter in order to place the transmission fully in gear. I normally have to create a bit tighter arc in the shift/lock arm in order to compensate for normal wear on the shift components. This allows for maximum travel in the shifter before it locks into the corresponding detent in the lock/detent arm. If these are not set properly, transmission damage will result from jumping out of gear into neutral while under power. A new shift dog will be needed and I can carefully reface the forward and/or reverse gears where the dog engages.....but only once. The gears are very costly, so carefull hand is required. Very very hard material to work with and one has to take time to keep temps down when reconditioning these drive tabs.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Oops. a shift linkage adjustment issue. If you remove the lower shift rod from the coupler, you can then check for slop on the upper portion. The best way to do this, is put the shifter in reverse and grab hold of the shift rod with a pair of needle nose pliers. Jiggle the shift rod up and down and there should be no play, whatsoever. If there is, then your shift linkage is badly worn at the belcrank area. A bad clutch dog will cause this upper portion to get loosened up and excessively worn.

Herm71

Cadet

Thanks for all the help, I adjusted the linkage like you said to do and that fixed it!!
Thanks again Herm

Oops. a shift linkage adjustment issue. If you remove the lower shift rod from the coupler, you can then check for slop on the upper portion. The best way to do this, is put the shifter in reverse and grab hold of the shift rod with a pair of needle nose pliers. Jiggle the shift rod up and down and there should be no play, whatsoever. If there is, then your shift linkage is badly worn at the belcrank area. A bad clutch dog will cause this upper portion to get loosened up and excessively worn.