Newbie pontooner needs info

suzieq1166

Recruit
We just bought a newer used 24' pontoon and plan to dock it this next weekend for the summer at a river dock. I am trying to purchase what I will need and know that I need at least a 13lb river anchor with a 1/2" diamater nylon rope and of course the deck cleat to secure it with. Do I need one for the front and one for the back? Also, alot of the pontoons and houseboats here got damaged from the severe wind storm last year and I want to make sure that although I have it secured to the dock and anchored front and back that it won't get damaged if we have another one this year. Dumb question but how do I do that? Do I use those pillow type things that you put on the side of the boat closest to the dock and if so... how many do I need? Any help would be appreciated.

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Newbie pontooner needs info

3 or 4 large fenders and lines bow and stern... I've seen some only use two fenders.
If you only tie one end of the boat it will float all over the place.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

BTW fenders are "those pillow type thingies"

No need to anchor it when it is tied to the dock. The dock lines will hold it.

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

first off i would tie the front back and middle if possible to the dock. the more lines the less stress that will be on each cleat kind of like tires more tires you have the less of a chance that they will squat ie, duallys. of course those "pillow like things" called fenders, bumpers, bouys, ect. are good to save the side of your pontoon again for this the more you have the less stress that is accually on each i would use 2 or 3. if you've got a way to attach it to the middil of the pontoon i'd do so as well as front and back. of course i would find a way to get insurence on it weather you have a cattage and can put it under that or get its own policy, because if it gets damaged by 20-30 mile gusts thats out of pocket, something gets stolen when your away out of pocket, or even if it gets a leak some how raising it and fixing the damage is out of pocket unless your smart enough to have insurence :)

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Purchase a Chapman's Boating Book from West Marine or other sources. Chapman has a wealth of information on the subject plus lots of other information useful for boaters.

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

If I was going to leave my boat in any boat dock, I'd make sure it was tied off at each of the 4 corners with high quality ropes. Hopefully most boat docks are in protected waters where waves are minimal.

Physical damage insurance is mandatory, as it takes the worry out of leaving a boat away from home.