Need Advice!! 1994 Mercury 90HP

I broke one of my bolts attach to the motor case. As you can see in the photo now there's a hole with the broken end of the bolt still in there. The reason why I tried to remove this bolt in the first place was to clean off some corrosion off the ground wires connected to the bolt.

First Question, will I need to remove the rest of the bolt from the case or do y'all think its stuck on there to the point there won't be any other damage to the motor.

Second Question, I took the wires connected and hook it to the bolt over the one I broke off.

Thank you everyone for your response.

Attachments

• Broken bolt 2.jpg
    Broken bolt 2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 0
  • Broke bolt.jpg
    Broke bolt.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Big picture.jpg
    Big picture.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 0

Sunfish12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Need Advice!! 1994 Mercury 90HP

The ground is good. The broken bolt could cause a leak.

M

Maxz695

If you have good skills take PB Blaster and soak it a few days, then get a small drill bit and drill a starter hole down the middle of the broken bolt this hole should be as straight as possible down the center.. Use a punch to make a start point for the bit. When drilling keep the bit very level and make the hole. Now get an easy out at any auto store and a drill bit within the range of the easy out. It must be less in diameter of the bolt your gonna remove, but not by too much. drill the second hole carefully for the easy out insert the easy out and unscrew the broken bolt.You alternative Isn,t a good one.

I know the threaded part is still in place, and the bolt broke off is where there's no threading. So, I say about a 2/3 of the bolt is still in the case. You still think it could cause a leak?

Thanks for the replay..

emoney

Commander

without the head on the bolt, there's a chance it can start to loosen up there. not something you want to happen. Lowe's sells the "easy out" in a 'kit form' with some pretty good instructions. If you're not comfortable with that, drive it over to a trusted mechanic and he should take it out for a few dollars.

M

Maxz695

yes and other than the instructions given to take it out you most likely will have to pull the power head to get the cover off hopefull not if you lucky and probably break a few more by the time you do get it off. then get vise grips on it and remove it

The lower cowl easy to remove? The broken bolt is located on the lower part of the power head.