Advise on taking others out on your boat.

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class
For a graduation party my cousin wants to be taken out on my boat with some of his friends. Of course I told him that we could make that work, always want to get others interested in the water. I have taken him out with my family several times and he is a good kid. Sits still when the boat is moving and pays attention. Like all 18 year old boys he wants to go fast and get crazy on the tube. Which is fine, that is what they are for right.
I am hesitant to take kids out that I don?t know. I have limited the friends to 3, that puts a total of 5 with him and me. I know one of his friends as I have taken him out as well and he is just as good. I know that my cousin and his one friend?s family take responsibility for their kids and do not hold me accountable for a slip and fall. However what kind of risk am I opening myself up to for doing this? I don?t want to be a kill joy, but also don?t want anything bad to happen. What kind of liability am I opening myself up to and what can I do to limit it?
Any advice would be much appreciated. Maybe others have been in this situation and could pass on information.

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Advise on taking others out on your boat.

Set down the ground rules to the two you know first, then to the rest when they show up.
Let your nephew and his buddy police their friends behaviour for the most part.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

You have liability insurance on your boat dont you, that pays medical in case of an accident? Otherwise 4 GIT it... IMHO

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes we have liability insurance. Would not even think about doing this with out it.

lncoop

Vice Admiral

If you regularly pull precious cargo behind your boat I'd recommend adding umbrella coverage if you don't already have it. If critical injury or death occurs on your watch you may find out the hard way how inadequate liability coverage can be. This sounds like a good time to look into it.;)

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class

^^^
That is exactly what I am worried about. Any Ideas on how to minimize that possibility?

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

^^^
That is exactly what I am worried about. Any Ideas on how to minimize that possibility?

Only go out by yourself and don't operate your vessel above idle speed!!

... or buy full coverage insurance and have fun!!!

lncoop

Vice Admiral

^^^

Yep. Umbrella coverage. Ask your agent about it tomorrow.

emoney

Commander

And check the ages of the friends that are coming. If they are all 18, and your insurance coverage is up, that's about all you can do. If they're not 18, then I'd consider getting the parents involved with some form of waver or something, or, tell them up front that they're not getting pulled.

mscher

Lieutenant

However what kind of risk am I opening myself up to for doing this? I don?t want to be a kill joy, but also don?t want anything bad to happen. What kind of liability am I opening myself up to and what can I do to limit it?

The best way to limit liability is to not go out at all. ;)

If you are insured, why worry about anything?

IMO, if you are not going to be able to relax and enjoy the day with your cousin and his friends, maybe it's a better idea to pass. If someone goes truely amiss, just deal with as needed.

A grumpy captain will not make a good day for anyone.

sasto

Captain

18?....We like to start them out at 14.....If he can't manage a boat what can he do?....Send him here....... I'll give him one!... :cool:

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks everyone for the responses. good advice.

And check the ages of the friends that are coming. If they are all 18, and your insurance coverage is up, that's about all you can do. If they're not 18, then I'd consider getting the parents involved with some form of waver or something, or, tell them up front that they're not getting pulled.

The ages will be 17 and 18. I think that it would be a good idea to talk to the parents and make sure that everyone knows my rules.

The best way to limit liability is to not go out at all. ;)

If you are insured, why worry about anything?

IMO, if you are not going to be able to relax and enjoy the day with your cousin and his friends, maybe it's a better idea to pass. If someone goes truely amiss, just deal with as needed.

A grumpy captain will not make a good day for anyone.

Great advice.

Only go out by yourself and don't operate your vessel above idle speed!!

... or buy full coverage insurance and have fun!!!

I have good coverage under my insurance, not worried about that. I have never been one to sit around worrying about what could happen or take it easy and not have fun. Just when dealing with other kids parents that I don?t know, I want to make sure that I have thought of the big things that could arise. That way I am not harping on the kids when on the water and everyone is relaxed and having fun.

kailec00

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I talked to my cousin last night about this and he spoke with his friends and their parents. He set out the rules and explained that if they are going to ignore those rules then they are responsible for the results of their actions. All the parents and friends agreed. His rules are stricter than mine. Like I said he is a good kid.

I still plan on talking to each set of parents to make sure that they do not have special rules that they want their kid to adhere to and to find out the experience of each kid around boats.

Thanks again everyone for the great responses.

jjacobs007

Lieutenant

skip the tube and go fishing for bass. lol wear sunglasses and watch the lures flight path. LOL

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander

If you've never had these kids out on your boat (or especially if they have no boat experience) you might want to take them out on a simple cruise first, to weed out the chummers and the jokers.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander

I think its a crying shame that this thread is even necessary (although it is).... I can remember a time when a law suit or how much insurance you had, wasn't even an issue. We just went boating, and took whomever wanted to go. Fortunately, no one ever got hurt bad (my cousin broke an ankle on a ski board once). That accident alone would worry many people today, bu when it happened we just took him to the hospital, got it fixed up, called his Mom & Dad and all was well.

A law suit was undheard of....they just told us, "Thanks for taking him boating and taking care of him" when he's all healed up he can try again. Accidents happen, you know?

I can also remember when insurrance on a small fishing boat was unheard of too. Now the larger more expensive boats were insured, but just for damage and the such, not to cover some big lawsuit. Too many people have abused the system we have and has made it difficult for everyone.

I'm sure no one enjoys hearing me rant, but this is one of my very few pet peeves. Now you're thinking "This guy must have been sued and lost". Nope, not the case, I just think we all need to step back and look at the world we are creating from time to time.

Reminds me of the lady the sued McDonalds because she spilled the coffee she bought from them and burned her leg. Well duh, yes coffee is hot and yes it will burn you. (sadly she won that case)

LadyFish

Admiral

Tell them to stow the "liquid courage" in the cooler back at the dock. I've seen two many kids get injured by getting crazy showing off in front of their friends, add alcohol into the mix and you could be taking on way more than you bargained for, not to mention the arrests that will ensue. It could ruin a perfectly great day.

jollymon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I take my daughters friends out on the boat all the time. I do not think about liablity at all. (well not much!) I have the boat for us to enjoy. On her birthday I have 8-10 kids on the boat. I always try to have at least one other adult with me, and no alcohol.

As she is getting older it is a little harder on me. She just turned 17 this month. It was an even mix of boys and girls, with a total of ten kids and two adults on board.

I can not stand the music she listens to and they love to blast it loud. I kept the rules simple for her this year, just the basic safety rules, and no music while we were leaving or returning to the dock. They had a blast, I had a headache. My only regret is she only has a birthday once a year.

If you trust your cousin, then trust that the kids he hangs out with are of the same caliber as he is. He will not disapoint you.

Brewman61

Ensign

Find a copy- CD, MP3, FM Radio station, that you know the kids will absolutely hate. Mid 1970's One hit wonder stuff.
Play a really bad song, and sing along with it at the top of your lungs for a few seconds.
Then announce that if anyone gets out of line, you'll be driving back in VERY slowly, stereo cranked up with the "bad" music and singning all the way back to shore. Perhaps "Afternoon Delight" or something they'd find equally horrible.
The threat of that might just make them behave.

Art Bernard

Banned

I'd make sure you have good insurance coverage, talk to the parents, and just prior to gettin in the boat have a safety brief. 17-18 year old kids, while they may be good kids, are still prone to do stupid stuff. Stress that YOU are in charge and anybody acting stupid will be returned to the dock. Don't be a butt head about it, but be firm and keep a good eye on them. My wife has a saying that should be gold plated-"Nothing takes the place of parental supervision".

Art