Engine Will Not Start

Chosen Soldier

Recruit
Need Assistance. New to boating. Have 25hp Johnson. May 5 motor runs great but has water pump issue - replaced). May 10 motor starts fine with ignition (first time out in 2 years according to man I got boat from). May 12 motor turns over once then nothing. Starter will engage but not start the motor. Used pull rope (home made - motor did not come with one) and engine started fine. Went to the lake and fished a while with a friend in from out of town. Started motor once at home and twice on lake with the pull rope. Attempted to charge battery with a small Walmart charger that I normally use for lawn mower battery, charged for 6 hours. Installed and when ignition key was turned there was a beep signal but not much response from the motor. The starter did attempt to engage but nothing else. Beep was present for about 10 attempts but then no more beep. Motor will attempt to engage but never with any success.

May 16 motor does same with ignition key. I attempted to start with pull rope about 5 times but may not have enouge torque.

Is the battery possible deceased? It came with an Everstart.

Thanks for your assistance. God Bless, Matt. 5:16

93civEJ1

Seaman
Re: Engine Will Not Start

I am new to this stuff as well....but with the cover off and you turning on the key, can you watch the starter gear come up and try to turn the wheel?

fireman57

Captain

If you haven't tried a known good battery yet now is the time. Also make sure all your connections are clean and shiny.This goes for the cables on the battery all the way to the starter, solenoid, and ground.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

If you don't know the history of the battery, that is the first place I'd investigate.
If you don't have a KGB as suggested, take the current one and have it load-tested.
Also, i am not sure if 6 hrs on a small charger is enough.Did you test the battery after charging?

Chosen Soldier

Recruit

Thanks 4 suggestions. Battery was dead. Now I will check to see if it was due to old age and/or inadequate storage.

milliesdad

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Remember, your motor probably does not have charging capabilities. Recharging after use/before next use is recommended.

As above-have battery load tested. You might have to invest in a larger charger.