Trailer broke again, time for a new one or just keep fixing it?

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Apparently the axle sheared off on the way from storage to the landing by my house. I barely got it to this little tire place before my turn that has already done a bit of work on it. They're looking at it right now.
trailer1.jpg

trailer2.jpg

Since buying this boat and trailer last summer I've had quite a few issues, I recently replaced both bearings, tires, lights, straps, and the wheel up front. I don't know how much this fix is going to cost, but I don't see much choice in the matter unless I plan on leaving my boat right where it is.

The question is, should I give up on this trailer and get a new one as soon as I can save up some money? Look at that second picture, how long until I lose something else from rust? I've already dumped a new trailer's worth of money into this one (well, once this fix is done I definitely have), but I suppose I should consider that a sunk cost and not let it make me decide to stick with something that could break again soon.

I am very frustrated right now.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Trailer broke again, time for a new one or just keep fixing it?

Maybe you could get by with just a new axle assembly, the leaf springs look pretty rough tho. They would at least need some serious elbow grease in scraping, wire wheeling, rust stop paint etc. Hows the hitch and the rest of the trailer ?

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The leaf springs are bad as you can tell, and if you can see in the first picture, the mounts for the bunks aren't great either. Everything else seems ok, certainly in much better shape than those two things. The bunks are also losing their carpet.

I had to replace the lights two weeks ago and that was a bit of a quick job. The whole thing really needs to be re-wired but I did what I could to at least take it from my house to the storage lot.

oldjeep

Admiral

Looks like the hub is actually falling off the spindle. Might find that the nut is no longer attached. As for the trailer - doesn't look bad from the pictures, new axle and springs should do it unless there is rot somewhere.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

If the frame is good I'd replace the running gear. If the frame is dicey, I'd get a new trailer.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

Looks like the hub is actually falling off the spindle. Might find that the nut is no longer attached. As for the trailer - doesn't look bad from the pictures, new axle and springs should do it unless there is rot somewhere.

I thought the same thing. I hope that is not the case though, otherwise it is an extremely rusty spindle, and probably hasn't seen grease in quite some time.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I see a connection here. "Recently replaced bearings" and the wheel falling off. Was this the first time you removed, cleaned, packed, and installed new bearings??? I suspect something in that process went wrong. However, one of two things happened" 1) the spindle bent or 2) the spindle nut was not secured properly. If the spindle broke the wheel would not still be attached to the trailer. Only removal of the wheel will reveal what happened.

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I had the bearings replaced, I was not the one doing the replacing. I don't even have a driveway any more, let alone a garage with all my tools :(

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Excuse me! But who did the work and were they trustworthy. A 16 year old working at a tire shop is not trustworthy in my view. In fact few 16 year olds chaning oil on BMW's and Corvettes are not trustworthy. Ask me how I know.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Looks like a pretty nice trailer to me. Clean up the leaf spring mounts and bunk mounts, spray on some rust stuff and paint. A new set of springs and axle is a quick job and you'd be done under $200.

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The guy replacing the axle said he won't do it unless I also do the springs, which I need to do anyways. $114 for the pair he said. All told it looks like its going to be $1000+

oldjeep

Admiral

The guy replacing the axle said he won't do it unless I also do the springs, which I need to do anyways. $114 for the pair he said. All told it looks like its going to be $1000+

$1000? For what? Axle should cost under $200, $114 for the springs - almost $700 in labor?
No idea what width yours is, but this is an example of what a 3500lb axle with springs sells for around here. I don't see any brakes in your picture so I'm assuming 3500lb
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200317475_200317475

BTW - did the hub come off, or was the spindle actually bent/broken?

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

$1000.00! I'd tell'm to go scratch!

abctrailerparts.com 3500# axle, hubs, bearings and springs @ $135.00 plus shipping for the whole running gear!
aaatrailerparts.com 3500# axle, hubs, bearings, springs and Ubolts @ $146.00 plus shipping

Besides, up here if it were me for $1000.00 I could find a very very nice used trailer and for just a little more a brand new one. For that kind of money I would find a flatbed trailer, bring it home as is and fix it myself.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Switching out the axle is a 20 minute job! You can do it with 2 car jacks and some blocking, just be sure to loosen the spring bolts before raising it. He's taking advantage of you to a whole new wicked level.

I suppose the problem now is your boat is stuck there. Is there a gas station, park or restaraunt or some superstore somewhere very nearby where you can SLOWLY tow it and do the work. Otherwise have it taken on a flatbed to a park or friends house where you can do it. Steve (If I remember right) at ABCTrailerparts can get you a new axle in probably 3 days if you ask nicely and call early enough (I think he's in Indiana so maybe even sooner). NorthernTool stocks some if you have one nearby.

adam7

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Wheel and tire too.
227958_2059757502009_1486807253_2439278_2566904_n.jpg

Thats what broke.

I have the trailer insured for $1000, so I'm not actually paying all that out of pocket. I think my deductible is $500 though, so that's about what I'll pay. $1000 wasn't a firm figure, it was a ballpark before he priced out the parts.

oldjeep

Admiral

OK, so add another $100 for the wheel and tire.

Nice break, weld broke and the spindle pulled right out of the tube.

jondavies

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You could have done what this guy did and "repair" it and drive another 200+ miles to get home :eek:

attachment.php

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Needs more duct tape.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

Wow, Assuming even just a 2000 lb axle, I wonder what the working load is on those hose clamps.

sublauxation

Lieutenant

You should consider keeping the hubs, at least the other side, for a spare.