drive shaft on 1979 merc110 9.8HP

slimekiller

Cadet
My drive shaft got scorned (pitted) up bad at the pump housing section. But the whole shaft is perfect.
Thus, it leaks oil and the pump would not prime.

Anyone can guide me a link or help to get this drive shaft out of this lower unit. I wanna get this shaft rebuilt.

Do I have to disassemble the whole prop ends to get this shaft out ?
Or can I get the shaft out from its bearing end ?

Thanks

M

Maxz695

Re: drive shaft on 1979 merc110 9.8HP

Is it just pitted at the top housing or all the way into the base of the waterpump? It can be cleaned up with light emery cloth. sand one side till its smooth then turn the cloth over using the backside to polish it. Use light oil or pb blaster when sanding it does wonders on rust. make sure you have a rag over anything below where your gonna clean up. The bottom base has an inner seal and an outer O ring. Remove the base and you will see the bearing below it. Clean up the shaft as best you can get a new COMPLETE Waterpump rebuild kit. It comes already with seals in it. Drain lower unit oil. clean area for the base and then rebuild the Waterpump. good luck. Unless it,s really, really terible I wouldn,t tear the LU apart.

slimekiller

Cadet

Thanks, Chief.

The shaft is pitted up pretty badly at the pump seal area (I wonder why).
It is pretty much be taken apart. And I just wonder how to get the shaft out to the machine shop.

I wonder how to post pictures I took 3 and don't know how to post them.

carholme

Rear Admiral

killer;

Here is the parts listing for your engine.

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/297.cfm

Not too sure if you are asking how to get the driveshaft out but to do that you will have to remove the guts from the LU, seen here:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/297_160.cfm

Then once you have them out, you will have to remove the bolt, item 12, pinion gear, item 10 and pull the shaft out:

http://www.crowleymarine.com/mercury-outboard/parts/297_150.cfm

All of the early Merc driveshafts corrode at that point due the type of steel used for the driveshaft. Just make sure that it has not affected the area where the seal rides. If it has, it can be repaired using a speedi-sleeve. There are also a few home remedies but I doubt they get posted too much. If you have access to a good machine shop, they will take care of you if it is that bad. Did you have any indication of leakage at the site when you took it apart?

Gerry

slimekiller

Cadet

First, Thank Carlhome for the steps of instruction. I follow another thread and got the LU off.
You help me on the drive shaft removeval. Thanks again.

The leaks is definitely at the pump seal. I can see the milky LU oil ozzed out of the pump's top seal. Looking at the lower part of the pump's housing, its rubber seal is torn badly.

I wonder if the seal damage could cause the pump not to prime and not to circulate water. Mine did not move enough water. All I got is a water spitting out of the tattle tell. New pump impeller and matching with the housing.

Today, wanting the make sure there is NO clogged and scale built-ups, I hook up the water hose and home made fitting to run the engine. Lot of water circulating and water is spitting out of the tatle tell. Used lazer temp gun ad to measure temperature of the body and plates of the engine AND they are all cool like a cucumber (in the 80's degrees at the water plate and 90's at the head). It was hot the other day.

Well, here I go with the drive shaft. Wish me lucks

And thanks again