Mounting swivel seat base to aluminum bench seat?

ampcarfan

Seaman Apprentice
Was wondering if anyone had successfully done this? The bench is full of floatation material so there is no way to put nuts on the bottom. I'm reluctant to just use sheet metal screws as we all know they are going to eventually wallow out and become loose. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Mounting swivel seat base to aluminum bench seat?

If I were to do it I would use Nutcerts or rivnuts. Available at fastenall and you will need the installation tool as well.

robert graham

Admiral

My jon boat has about a 6"X6"X1/8" aluminum seat mounting plate screwed to the bench seats(full of foam)and I'm guessing those large phillips head screws have some kind of "anchor" nut on the other end, similar to a sheet rock anchor bolt. I'm confident that I-Boats sells these special marine anchor bolts for mounting pedestal seats to boat floors and they might work very well for your application. Maybe call them or check their web site for special anchor bolts. Good Luck!

robert graham

Admiral

I just checked I-Boats and they do carry a Stainless Steel Garelick Toggle Anchor Bolt just for your application. They should work fine! Good Luck!

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

click : 123bbbc.jpg

You can mount the seat without putting any holes in your bench if you have space under the seat..
Don't know if they still make them, or if you will have to find a used one.

They are an aluminum sleeve that fits over your bench, it is secured with a long bolt, which pulls the sleeve tight, The swivel base mounts on top of it.

Will fit a bench that is 12" wide, 8" tall.

Check your private messages.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Maybe try a rivet nut, it's basically a threaded sleeve that gets riveted down so you can bolt things up without needing to access underenath the bench.

wifisher

Chief Petty Officer

Why not just use rivets? Rivnuts would be OK if you want to have it removable, but it seems like this would be a permanent install.

fishrdan

Admiral

I think the aluminum of the seat bulk head would be too thin and make for a wobbly seat mounting platform. Lean back in the seat and the aluminum would flex, eventually pulling the fasteners loose.

I did something that I'm sure you won't want to tackle. But,,, I cut a hole in the seat bulkheads, bent a lip around the opening to add rigidity to the opening (not easy), filled the interior with sheet foam to replace flotation and create a storage compartment. I used 5/8" plywood as a lid and this serves as the seat mount also. That said, I wouldn't go hacking into the seat bulkhead unless you have the tools/skills to bend a lip all the way around the opening or it will be very weak.

This isn't a great pic of the seat and lids, but will give you and idea.

dscf2606.jpg

On the front seat bulkhead, I just made a piece of plywood 12x18", T-nuts from the bottom, covered with vinyl, then used 8-10 screws to secure it to the bulkhead. Though, this is just for kids and not use while underway, since it's right at the bow. You could make a mounting plate like this for the other seats, just be sure to make it wide enough so the load is distributed well. I'm guessing, but maybe a 18x18 or 16x16 piece of plywood.

ampcarfan

Seaman Apprentice

Alot of great ideas. This will be in the rear, and the only "mounted" seat. I have an idea to cut a piece of hardwood to fit the bench and use angle to secure it from the side lip (I think sheet metal screws would be ok for this?). Then use stainless carriage bolts coming "up" to secure the seat base. The appeal to this idea for me is I could mount my FF right in front of me on the wood. May look pretty nice also?