1998 225 Ocean Pro idling very high....2000+

jvalhenson

Cadet
Finally got enough time to replace the stator and rectifier the other day and everything seemed fine(also a new prop which got my rpms up to 5700.) Went fishing yesterday and the neutral idle was high at around 1500rpms while in the water. in gear at idle it was its normal 900rpms(which is a touch high but as always been there.) Went on and fished the morning sitting on anchor so motor not on but ran perfect to the spot. Cranked up later to move and was doing the same thing and ran perfect to the next spot. When we got to the 2nd stop and I came to neutral the rpms stayed at 2000 and then climbed to 3000. After this every time I would crank the motor it would stay around 2000 rpms in neutral but in gear would go back to it its 900. The spark advance is free(just cleaned and greased it the other day) and the butterflies are closed all the way. I suspect that it could be the quickstart feature not functioning properly but have not had a chance to reference the manual yet(I was working on it at my parents house and left the book there) and have not been able to find it online. I also suspect that the idle adjustment screw may have gotten moved but I do not know if that has any impact on the rpms in neutral or just in gear? Can either of these things cause this problem and if so how can you check/test the quickstart feature? Only issue seems to be in neutral as it ran perfect all day except for that. Thanks a bunch in advance.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1998 225 Ocean Pro idling very high....2000+

I had same problem,search my name for the hints I got,you could have a timing rod not returning,it is what controls the idle on that motor,look on starboard side under flywheel,try and manually return it back,if its the problem ,that will allow it to return,I just needed to clean and lube it,it can be a temp switch also,if i recall,the test is grounding the white/blk sensor on port head ,again search "mikesea"that will bring you to the helpful replies i had

jvalhenson

Cadet

thanks for the reply.....the timing rod returns as it should and it was just cleaned and regreased this past Sat morning. I found your post before....its not exactly the same situation but similar so hopefully grounding that wire will do it. thanks.

jvalhenson

Cadet

saw another of your threads regarding a similar issue in which you said you disconnected the sensor but nothing happened....then someone replied saying to disconnect the quickstart black/white wire and ground it to the block....did that solve your issue or if not what ended up fixing it? Sorry if that was in one those threads but I didnt see where a resolution was posted...thanks a bunch.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Good question.That was an on and off problem I had.Thought the timing rod fixed it.Had it running Ok for a while.Was able to use it.BUT ,a guy liked the hull and bought the boat.He told me,the thermostats were bad,which caused problems I guess with the quick start and also fouled the plugs easy.I had changed the pugs before selling to him .Day later ,he said he had all kinds of trouble fiouling.AND I had removed the oil injection yrs ago ,so it wasnt that.Bottom line ,check your thermos. Thats about all I got left.Sorry

jvalhenson

Cadet

yea it could be the thermos....they are the next thing to check i guess.....tried disconnecting and grounding the black/white wire on port side but dont think it did much. the motor has always had a problem with trying to run away when hooked to the hose but has never had that problem in the water till now so trying to diagnose things at home is tough bc I cant run it more than just a few seconds before it runs the rpms to 4000 so have to kill it....dont live far from the water but 15 miles is still a good haul to go try to check things.....tryin to find me a tank that I can use to run it in here...got a couple drums that I was gonna cut off but they are not wide enough. Anyways......tried just unplugging the wire and holding it tight against a non-painted part of the block but just not sure if I was getting a good ground or not....it did seem to have some effect but didnt bring it all the way back down......when I did that it started reving back and forth from about 2200 to 3200 up and down(I assume I had the right wire.....white wire with black stripe on port side on temp sensor.....I dont know.....I am certainly no mechanic so all I can do is read and ask and try this and that till I hit it....pops is the mechanic in the family and with him off working I fully expect it take me a while to get it solved....but I do expect to get it one way or the other. Only other thing I can think it might be is the power pack which is a pretty expensive fix. I have not gone under the pack and disconnected the quickstart there so gonna try that tomorrow if I can get home early enough and see if that helps. Thanks a bunch for the replies.

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class

Check your idle timing stop screw.
It adjusts the timer base position.
The center magnet in the flywheel
may have come loose.
If that's the case the timing would
be advanced low and high speed.