relieving TNT unit pressure

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
I just bought a 115 ocean runner(j115sledr) that has the TNT unit stuck( think a bad motor). The previous owner stripped the manual relief valve to the point that he started to drill it out. Seems to be a mess, but aparently it is still holding pressure. I have the factory manual, and it looks like that is the only place to "drain" the unit... other than taking the filler cap off and sucking out the resevior. but i dont THINK that will remove fluid from the the cylinder that are locking this unit up.

so my question is how to you relieve the pressure in the unit so you can lift the motor by hand??

is knocking out the lower pin and removing the anode and swinging the lower part of the unit out the only way to be able to lift the motor??I ll have the motor hanging from a hoist at the time so i can access both side of the unit!!!

If i can do it that way, then I can access the upper pin to knock it out and have the unit in hand to work on at the bench...or my my shop.

thanks

bob

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Re: relieving TNT unit pressure

Sounds like a good plan to me but hopefully you won't have to much trouble getting those pins out.