Remote Control Reverse Speed - 1993 Tracker Evinrude 90

trackrud1790

Recruit
First of all I want to say that this forum has been invaluable to me!

I bought this boat about 3 months ago and spent all my spare time rebuilding it. Prior to this I had no experience with working on boats. Now I know my boat inside-out and I'm so glad I went through the process because I will know how to troubleshoot on the water if necessary.

Until now I have not had to post any questions and I have learned a tremendous amount about, replacing the floor, carpeting, 2-strokes, fuel, oil, carb linkage, etc and decided to post a few questions for things that I cannot find answers to and see if I can get some feedback that leads me in the right direction.

I already disassembled the controller once to thoroughly clean, regrease and repaint it. I used a digital camera to take pictures of how it looked step by step during the disassembly to ensure that I put it back together the way it came apart. This was a very smart thing because it made reassembly a breeze.

The question here is, should my controller allow any more than idle speed in reverse?

When I shift in reverse, it goes into gear to the idle position, but that is as far as it will go. Should the handle be able to travel past idle in reverse for more speed?

When I push in the button before pulling the handle backward, it will move the throttle to full open, but not when reverse is engaged.

It was a little difficult controlling the boat in reverse today, in the wind, at the launch, in a river with significant current without being able to goose it a little here and there for corrections.

Is something out of snyc, out of adjustment, or is this by design with the older controller. Click here for the schematic of the model I have.

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Remote Control Reverse Speed - 1993 Tracker Evinrude 90

The remote control has two holes that the
shift cable end can go in. It needs to be in
the hole closest to the center. If it's in the
outer hole (lower hole) the shift cable will
hit the end of it's travel and the box can not
move any farther to throttle.

trackrud1790

Recruit
Re: Remote Control Reverse Speed - 1993 Tracker Evinrude 90

That helped, but not enough. The best I could do from there is get it to where I had to exert considerable force in forward and reverse, which flexed the cable at the other end in both directions. To remedy this and add some more travel I drilled a new hole in the shift lever in the motor just above the original hole and mounted the linkage there. Worked perfectly and now the remote control moves the shifter to both extremes with flexing the cable very little at each end of travel. Thank you very much for your feed back!