More Mercury XR2 problems, lower unit!!!

flipsider

Cadet
Ok we replaced the water pump no problem, went to place lower unit into motor and could not get it to line back up. We tried to turn the shaft and the fly wheel. Upon looking up into the motor with a flashlight it looks like there is a bearing or something at the the top of the whole that has fell down and covering half of the hole where the shaft slides up in. We are completely lost looked throught the service manual and cannot figure it out. Once again im begging for help. Any info is so much appreciated.

M

Maxz695

Re: More Mercury XR2 problems, lower unit!!!

something fishy here. retainer main lower bearing lower end cap with seal. if it is the bearing this is not good. You may have to remove the powerhead and check this out.I never heard of the bearing falling out of the reainer like that and pretty sure it,s not supposed to. indicates something wrong with the retainer. maybe you can get something up in there god knows what and reallign it and get it back into the retainer without damaging the seal. Otherwise It,s gonna be a long night for you

flipsider

Cadet

Is this something I need to take to a mechanic to get fixed. And am I looking at a major repair that is gonna cost a fortune???

M

Maxz695

I,m not sure but from what you described you have something that is not good going on. My questions I have is, are you mechanicly inclined and have a manual for this engine. If so study the manual. Do you think you could be capable of removing all the cables (Steering Shifter)electrical harness,Motor mounts and get the power head up by yourself it could save you tons of money. How many cylinders is this engine? do you have a lift or can make one? Can you get someone to help you lift the powerhead when it,s unbloted? It,s really no big deal if you have the tools and the information as well as drive with some patience. I suggest you wait until someone here with more knowledge of your engine comes to the rescue. A reainer holds the bottom bearing in the engine, and saying you see it sidways really makes me think something is wrong there. Once the powerhead is removed it is not to hard to get the retainer out and replace the rest. but i would not proceed any further until you know whats going on here. Now before I scare you to death some driveshafts have a plastic ring at the top of the driveshaft how this could ever end up in the position you say it may be is beside me and errelivent. see if you can get a hanger up ther and hook it and pull it out. If thats what it is no big deal if it is a bearing then it won,t matter at that point. Keep at it until you see what this thing is. Remove it try not to hurt the seal

M

Maxz695

reread the first post added information thanks

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

What has happened is the crankshaft spline seal has fell off end of crank. This seals crankshaft splines from water intrusion. It a fairly easy fix and you can leave everthing but shift arm attached to powerhead. Just borrow a lifting eye and unbolt powerhead,loctite and tap seal back into place,clean powerhead/exhaust base and install new gasket. if you have all the tools shouldnt take you more than a 1-1/2 hours on complete repair.

M

Maxz695

ty fastbullet

Newbee

i need some info if anyone can help?
What tools are needed to work on the lower unit in order to pull it apart?
Also what special tools are needed for pulling a power head?
Is there any place to purchase used tools? If not where is the best
place to purchase new ones
thanks dave

j_martin

Admiral

Newbee

i need some info if anyone can help?
What tools are needed to work on the lower unit in order to pull it apart?
Also what special tools are needed for pulling a power head?
Is there any place to purchase used tools? If not where is the best
place to purchase new ones
thanks dave

Read the notice at the top of this forum. You just did both no-no's in one shot.