71 6hp fisherman

joewbangs

Recruit
I have a 71 6hp fisherman. It has not been used for several yrs. It would start and run only with choke on. I put a new fuel pump kit in, and removed and cleaned the carb. It will start easily and runs good at idle, and will reeve up, But when under a load, in gear it will not reach full power, acts like its not getting enough fuel. Appreciate any help, thanks.

AlTn

Commander
Re: 71 6hp fisherman

there's a line or mark on the timing cam that the carb roller should be centered on just as the throttle plate in the carb throat begins to open...as you advance the throttle to wot, the roller should be at the highest point of the cam and the throttle plate perfectly horizontal in the carb throat..check this and post back

joewbangs

Recruit

Thanks. Checked it. It appears to be centered properly. Got any other suggestions? Is it possible my fuel pump is not working properly? I put a new kit in it, maybe i got it wrong. Thanks again.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Thanks. Checked it. It appears to be centered properly. Got any other suggestions? Is it possible my fuel pump is not working properly? I put a new kit in it, maybe i got it wrong. Thanks again.

If you have not verified the ignition, at least with a spark tester, that should be your next move...IMO.