Johnson carb problem 1963 10hp

cdwolf

Recruit
I have a 1963 Johnson 10hp engine (Model# QD24b) that I just acquired and Im trying to get it running. I attached a new fuel tank to it and pumped the fuel line until the fuel filter bowl filled up with fuel and the fuel line pump was hard and seemed fully pressurized. I disconnected the air intake screen and moved the throttle linkage back and forth and it seems that no fuel is being pumped thru the main carb jet (shouldn't I see fuel getting squeezed thru this jet as I moved the throttle back and forth?). Previoulsy, I had taken apart the carb and inspected the carb (the bowl was full of fuel after I had pressurized it as above) and the main jet and needles and everything seemed very clean and free of any obstructions. I am sure no fuel is being pumped thru the carb into the engine but possibly I am missing something? Is it necessary for something to occur before fuel is injected thru the main jet or am I correct that this should be taking place as i move the throttle back and forth? After several attempts at starting I inspected the plugs and they are as dry as before i started. (one caveat is that my recoil is missing and I must pull start the engine using only a clothes lines wound around the flywheel). In any case, should fuel be squirting thru the main jet of the carb as I work the throttle? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Johnson carb problem 1963 10hp

Try spraying some mixed fuel in the throttle venturi and see if it wants to fire? Let us know what happens. Post back.!

AlTn

Commander

there's no accelerator pump on your engine...new to you motors should have the compression checked, the spark checked < 1/4" blue pop, checked with an open air gap tester for you engine>, fuel mix....look in the Top Secret Files at the beginning of this forum, lots of info there

cdwolf

Recruit

Well, after my post and before your replies I had tried putting fuel mix directly into one of the spark plug chambers and replaced the plug and tried staring the engine. It tried to fire and ran for a few seconds before sputtering out a couple of times. (note: one of my spark plugs gets no spark for whatever reason). Without doing a compression test and without replacing coils ect... Im tryng to get an idea if the engine is worth fixing at this point since I do not have compression tester nor a fly wheel puller. The engine seems like its in nice shape with no grease or anything around the head and the engine seems to shift and has gear oil and it looks clean. I would love to try to fix it myself and that is why im back to the carb problem....the engine does not seem to be getting any fuel into the cyclinders? I wonder what are the possible problems causing this?

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Check the "Top Secret" file at the top of this forum.
Lots of info there., particularly re: carbs.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

well I would first do a compression test just to be sure its worth going any further. check that and if good, a simple fix is in store for you!

taylor786

Cadet

As Monte said, everything else can be fixed
I picked up my Compression gauge at Autozone for $24.00
Good compression is comforting and the basics to know you have a good motor to fix. I've learned the hard way from experience!