89 70hp johnson having issues

basstrackin1

Recruit
hi everybody this is my first post here. i have a 89 basstracker with a 70 hp johnson i took the boat three times ran perfect till half through the third day i was at wot an the motor sputter out. now the boat will start an a few seconds later after it gets warm will sputter out. if u have any ideas or can help me with my problem it would be greatly appreciatied thanks to all in advance.

D

DJ

Re: 89 70hp johnson having issues

Check:

1. Compression.

2. Spark on all three cylinders.

emoney

Commander

DJ's right on it, of course. And, if all those check out well, you've narrowed it down to the fuel system.

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well if it starts and then dies out, wouldn't think its compression, but lets see whats happens!

Sixmark

Master Chief Petty Officer

Well if it starts and then dies out, wouldn't think its compression, but lets see whats happens!

That's why you came on here, because some of the people on here will think of the other factors that can cause the problem that you will not.

basstrackin1

Recruit

well im not getting spark after it gets runnin an dies out the first time, cant check compression till i get a tool.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

explain exactly what happens,for instance ,if it starts ,and you release the key to the run position ,and it dies,that would indicate a bad keyswitch.I come to that conclusion because ,you say you have no spark at that point,So ,you get spark,it starts ,then you lose spark,and it dies.First thought to me is switch.Be a specific as possible,it does help us .

basstrackin1

Recruit

well when i first pull the boat since the problem occurred it will start up on the first turn of the key run good for a few seconds start to sputter out. i relase the key an it still runs for a bit. only on the first crank though then i check for
spark an there wasnt any.im pretty confidfent its electrical but any help is great.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

If you have a built in tank,loosen the cap,see if you hear a rush of air,if the vent is not working,the eng wil starve,tank needs venting for fuel to flow,make sure all fuel lines are tight at all connections ,also chech that someone hasent moved the red ,manual choke handle that should be running along the primer ,not at a 90 degree ,which would push fuel.Then if all that is OK,try disconnecting the blk/white wire at the powerpack,that will disable the kill circut ,so you will need to choke it out or pull plug wires.I usually put plug wire on loose during this for ease of pulling while eng is running.Be careful,be sure to have water to eng.If you still have issues,try disconnecting the red harness plug,it will run but you need to jump to starter,also as before your kill circut is not working.Be careful,keep low RPM pull wires to kill,.This will help determmine problem in harness and/or the keswitch.