smart tabs sx on starcraft SS?

singledoubt88

Seaman
Im looking to buy some smart tabs sx trim tabs and install them on my 16' starcraft SS (1977). Wondering if anyone has installed these with the use of an outboard ladder? Ive got some pretty bad porpoising and planing issues, but i want to make sure i can use a ladder. Thanks fellas

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer
Re: smart tabs sx on starcraft SS?

Have you tried moving the pin on the motor leg in one hole? Seems to me that a 16 foot boat should not need trim tabs. What motor are you running on your boat? Perhaps you have too much weight in the rear and you should be moving fuel and battery forward. You could also use one of those dolphin tails on the anti-ventilation plate. I have trim tabs on my boat but there are used to control list due to uneven weight distribution. They are also good to keep you on plane at slower speeds.
GLG

Just noticed you have a 75 hp Chrysler.....

singledoubt88

Seaman

Glg fishing,

Thanks for the reply. I currently am running a 78 85 Evinrude with power TNT. The boat is pretty stern heavy with the motor 12 gallons of fuel and a 31 series battery. Pretty sure this is the cause of my problems. Worst part is there no place up front to move the fuel. I can get it to plane but porpoising starts at probably 3500 rpms. Also she's real uneasy over a moderate chop. I looked at the stingray se hydrofoil? Still have heard much better things about the smart tabs though.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Is the 85hp on a bracket or on the transom?

It sounds like too much weight in the stern, and I'm looking at buying a 70-85hp for a 16' SS so I'm curious how this pans out for you.

Have you run the motor with small amount of fuel in the tank to see if that helps?

singledoubt88

Seaman

No jack plate it's mounted directly on the transom. I just put a decent size trolling motor on the bow and a battery under the port console but haven't run it with this on there yet. Well see in a couple of days if that helps or not. Ive ran it pretty low on fuel but honestly cant remember the results. I'll def. Let you know how it works out. I really love this motor, but Is is on the heavy side. Also I was looking at the transom today and noticed the screws to install a set of trim tabs would be underneath the deck and below the transom I dont think I'd trust a couple of sheet metal screws to hold these things on without some kind of backing plate on the inside. And at this point removing the rear section of the deck would be terrible! Maybe with the 5200 they'd be fine though. Anyone with the smart tab sx's have an opinion on this? The motor had a fin on it previosly cause it has holes in the av plate already so maybe this is the way to go?

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

I put a set of smart tabs on a 14' fiberglass with 115hp Suzuki outboard. Was very stern heavy and was a dog at low speed but once on plane it was a rocket, no middle speed, real hard to control and forget about cruising.
I installed a set of smart tabs and they made a world of differance. Planes so much easier now even at low speed. Also improved the handling. Its now like riding on a rail. Very stable when cornering at high speed.
I attached a link to my install if anyone is interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/giarc_dranrab/sets/72157618823279920/

GLG fishing

Chief Petty Officer

SD88 what hole is the leg set on? That would be my first thing I would check. What shape is the prop in? Is the paint on the prop showing signs of pitting on the back side of the blades? I would try looking at those things before I went to trim tabs.
GLG

singledoubt88

Seaman

GLG,
Sorry I meant to mention in my last post but the motor is set on the hole closest to the bottom of the transom. It's installed to the correct height as well. As for the prop it is nearly brand new, aluminum Solas 13.25 x 17, and is still in great shape. Trim tabs seem to be the way to go but def. Want to be able to use a ladder in the future.

Craig,
Thanks for the link and feedback, glad to see they worked out for you. ive heard many other success stories as well. it looks like you used screws on the bottom bracket that holds the tabs in place. Did you have access to the inside of the hull in order to reinforce anything?

This is where I would be most apprehensive about installing the tabs.
Thanks again for the replies

CraigBarnard

Petty Officer 1st Class

GLG,
Sorry I meant to mention in my last post but the motor is set on the hole closest to the bottom of the transom. It's installed to the correct height as well. As for the prop it is nearly brand new, aluminum Solas 13.25 x 17, and is still in great shape. Trim tabs seem to be the way to go but def. Want to be able to use a ladder in the future.

Craig,
Thanks for the link and feedback, glad to see they worked out for you. ive heard many other success stories as well. it looks like you used screws on the bottom bracket that holds the tabs in place. Did you have access to the inside of the hull in order to reinforce anything?

This is where I would be most apprehensive about installing the tabs.
Thanks again for the replies

I used the screws provided and did not have to reinforce anything. Mind you this was on a fiberglass boat. The wooden transom inside provided plenty of support.
Drilling holes was a little nerve wracking so I added some RTV silicon on the threads of the screws as well as on the backside of all brackets, just in case.

singledoubt88

Seaman

Just a little update for those that helped me out and for anyone who cares.:)
After installing a new transducer and speedometer pilot tube, I realized that the transom is pretty small to have a pilot, tdx, ladder, and trim tabs. So I decided to go with a hydrofoil instead.

I chose the se sport 300, mostly because of the reviews seemed to be the highest for this particular one. I took the boat out on Sunday and here?s kind of what I came up with.

I noticed immediately the fin helped with my hole shot. The SS got up quickly and jumped on plane much sooner than before. I also noticed some of the other noted benefits that usually are associated with installing a hydrofoil. Steering seemed to be easier with less prop slip, and I want to say that It did help with fuel efficiency, although I can?t really back that up with stats. The bow remained much lower throughout the day as well. At WOT I was surprised with the boats performance. I Hit 40.5 MPH GPS with two adults and 12 gallons of fuel!:D I can?t say if this is improved after installing the se sport because I just put on my GPS before this last trip. However I don?t think there is any need to go any faster than that on this old boat.

The lake I was on (Norman) was pretty crowded and had a heavy chop at times. As far as porpoising goes I didn?t notice a whole lot of improvement after installing the fin. Now this is my first boat and I don?t have a lot of experience on the water so I?m not sure if my expectations are too high for a 16 ft. aluminum boat, in this kind of choppy water. I was able to maintain a pretty smooth ride at about 20-25 MPH. I have to keep the motor trimmed in pretty far; if I trim it out it will start porpoising. SS owners, how does your starcraft perform in a moderate/ heavy chop? I think that with more experience with TNT and overall better driving ability I will be able to create a smoother ride.

I gotta say I absolutely love this boat! It has been an awesome experience being able to restore it myself and finally getting to enjoy it! I?m also glad that I maxed out the HP with the 85. The ole rude? runs great and is a strong little motor.

Thanks for everyone?s help and ill be sure to update my old resto thread with some new pics and info very soon!

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Singledoubt,
I have a 1978 16' SS and a 1978 85hp johnson with an aluminum 13.25x17 prop. Sooo we have identical boats is what I'm trying to say. When I finished my restore, I took it out for the first time 2 batteries in the back and 12 gallons of fuel also 4 adults 2 in the very rear and 2 in the driver pass seat. The porpoising was out of control even with it trimmed all the way in. So moved some weight forward and it was fixed for the day. Went home brought the engine up on the tronsom. Thats why they give lots of holes to mount the engine with. Moving the engine up cleared up all the porpoising issues. It gives the engine less torque on the boat if that makes sense.

Your hydrafoil will do everything you said it should but a properly adjusted hydrafoil does nothing for a porpoising boat while on plane. if your hydrafoil is on right on plane in a straight line the hydrafoil is out of the water. Thus not having any affect on the boat.

Your boat motor combo is so common on here its pathetic they were stamping those boats out by the thousands and not to many of us have hydrafoils actually I can't think of anyone although I'm sure there is someone.

You need a properly adjusted engine. You will probably find your cavitation plate needs to be about 2" above the bottom of the boat. Raise your engine until one of the two things happen. Porpoising goes away. Or you ventilate the prop. My guess the first will happen before the second.

Do a google search why my boat porpoises and you will find everyone telling you to put smart tabs on. but a 16 footer does NOT need smart tabs. If you look good and hard you will find logical advice that will say adjust the engine up.

Take a pic of the engine in relation the bottom of the boat. with it trimmed down. get right down level with it and post it. We can then see where your cavitation plate it at.

I also need to make sure that with your power Trim and tilt you have your engine resting on the pin hole closest to the boat.

dozerII

Admiral

I agree with FJ, My 16 SS had a 90 Johnson and the only time I could make it porpoise was if I trimmed way out. I had two 6 gal plastic tanks and a starting battery at the stern and a bowmount and deep cycle up front. It was an awsome boat, but as EZ says I got two footidis, and had to have an 18SS.
Glen

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Thanks for everyone?s help and ill be sure to update my old resto thread with some new pics and info very soon!

You better! That one really left us hanging. Last I checked your boat was upside down and your motor was a Chrysler :eek:

singledoubt88

Seaman

Great insight fj,
Glad to hear from someone who has the same setup as me. I will definitely take some pics of the anti ventilation plate in relation to the transom and post them. Ill update my thread also tonight. Thanks fellas

singledoubt88

Seaman

Ok, was able to snap some quick pictures tonight... the motor is currently mounted with the AV plate close to on line with the bottom of the transom. if anything it is maybe a 1/4" lower than the transom
DSCN6517.jpg

also the pin is located...

DSCN6515.jpg
[/IMG]

and another pic at the mounting location...

DSCN6516.jpg

dozerII

Admiral

If you were to raise the o/b one hole I think you would find a huge difference. The AV plate should never be below the keel but at or slightly above.
Glen

barbosam

Petty Officer 2nd Class

agreed, up to one inch above the bottom of the boat is usually recomended. The higher you go the more efficient the set up as long as the prop does not begin to ventilate. If you go up one hole you should be 1/2" to 3/4" above the bottom and thats right about on the money.

singledoubt88

Seaman

Well I tried to edit and resize the picture with the transom shown, but it keeps cutting out the bottom of the hull... Fj which hole is your motor sitting on? Access to a hoist is limited so if I can I'd like to only have to use it once. I know that might not be possible, but since we do have the same boat/motor maybe its close enough to try out at the same height? Thanks

singledoubt88

Seaman

Dozer and Sam,

Thank you for the input. I will def. Be moving it up a hole, I'm glad to hear that it should be an easy fix. I'll see if I can get to a hoist this week and let you know how it works out!

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Single
My engine is mounted in the second to the bottom hole and its a good inch or more above the bottom of the boat. You are definetly way to low. This is definetly without a hesistation of doubt causing your porpoising and will be the way you fix it. I'm gonna bet ya you will be rasing that engine up 2 holes but start with one and work your way up. Remember raising one hole will increase RPM's about 150-200. So keep an eye on your tack. This will also increase your speed and hole shot a bit.

As far as a hoist. I used the 2x4 trusses in the garage with a large ratchet strap. Your engine only weighs 295 pounds. So its not really necessary to get to awful serious with how you lift her.

Also a tip for lifting the engine. Remember you can do alot of work with the jack on the tongue of the trailer. First remove the top bolts of the engine. Loosen the bottom bolts. If you raise the tongue the transom goes down. Lower the tongue and the transom comes up. It tilts like a see saw.

Good luck and keep us posted