VP 5.0Gi starting problems

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2001 Monterey 302 Cruiser
twin VP 5.0L Gi

Problem: When cranking the post engine, i get the twin beeps, start it, fires right off. idles about 600rpm. Cranking the STBD engine, get the twin beeps, cranking, it sounds like it wants to start but just doesn't. I move the throttle (in neutral) forward and it cranks right up. After cranking, both engines run fine, and sound great. Acts almost like the choke is not working properly but it is computer controlled right?:confused:
It is just the starting that is the problem on the STBD engine. Batteries good, fuel filter checked good but replaced anyway, premium fuel with ethanol treatment, just filled up. I replaced all spark plugs on both engines, no help. I didn't think that mpi engines would have a starting problem like this.:(

Any simple fixes other than calling a mechanic? :confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: VP 5.0Gi starting problems

Fixing it may be a simple thing, but finding it is going to be something you will need a diagnostic computer, fuel pressure gauges, service manual, DVM and some time to find.
If you want to get the tools and have the mechanical and electrical abilities, we can probably help.

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fixing it may be a simple thing, but finding it is going to be something you will need a diagnostic computer, fuel pressure gauges, service manual, DVM and some time to find.
If you want to get the tools and have the mechanical and electrical abilities, we can probably help.

Don, thanks.
I was hoping that someone might have had a similar problem and could give me a hint. It just puzzles me as it sometimes works and sometimes not. I have the ability but no tools, meters, etc etc. My guess bet is to find someone that is good and reliable to come take a look at it. That in itself is a BIG problem, finding someone that will do what they say they will.
Finding someone that is reliable is a real trick. I guess they don't need the money that badly.
I am really sick of people telling me that they will be there at a certain time and then no show and not even calling. When they do, I just tell them that they are no longer needed.

Thank again for all your post on here. A man with knowledge that loves to share!!

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

swap your iac's and see if the problem moves. cant telll you exactly where it is because of no model number but it is most often mounted to the throttle body. it is easy to switch and will rule it out.

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Just a side note, I believe your engines are TBI, not MPI. I had a similar issue of sorts with my port engine. Mine didn't die, but had a really rough idle. Turned out to be a clogged injector.

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

swap your iac's and see if the problem moves. cant telll you exactly where it is because of no model number but it is most often mounted to the throttle body. it is easy to switch and will rule it out.

OK, you got me. What is an iac?

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just a side note, I believe your engines are TBI, not MPI. I had a similar issue of sorts with my port engine. Mine didn't die, but had a really rough idle. Turned out to be a clogged injector.

Sorry dsiekman. The Engine Model number is 3869057. I understand Mulit Port Injected but what is TBI? I will probably slump my shoulders and hit my head when you tell me the answer.:eek:

BTW, the engine runs great after it is started. It sounds like it is on the verge of cranking but won't until I move the throttle to about 1/2 open, it fires and I have to bring it back fast or it will go to about 2500 rpm. It sometimes fires right up with no problems. After it cranks, it runs great.:confused:

Last edited:

dsiekman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

TBI is throttle body injection. If I remember right, which I may not, the Gi series engines were TBI and the GXi engines were MPI. Now, Don may come along and tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about, but I think that was the deal. Worth a google.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Something like 5.0GiPEFS, or 5.0Gi-A or B is a model number, that would help determine which engine you have. Even the serial number (starts with a 4 and is 10 digits long) would help. Your 3869057 number is a spec number and there is no way to look it up, unless you are a Volvo Penta dealer.

Boobie Trap

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Something like 5.0GiPEFS, or 5.0Gi-A or B is a model number, that would help determine which engine you have. Even the serial number (starts with a 4 and is 10 digits long) would help. Your 3869057 number is a spec number and there is no way to look it up, unless you are a Volvo Penta dealer.

Sorry Don, I just used the surveyor numbers. I will have to get those numbers and WILL write them down for future use when I go to the boat today.

Have a great weekend!!:)