Professional Ski boat

garybenidorm

Cadet
Hi guys,
I'm thinking of purchasing a Supra Comp TS6M speedboat fitted with a mid-located direct prop drive Ford 351PCM 5.7cc V8 inboard engine from 1990, which produces 300bhp

Can anyone give me any advice on these boats and engines? i.e. Do's & Dont's,, common faults to look out for, petrol consumption, top speed etc.

The boat is 21ft and seats 6+. I will be using it for skiing and tubing etc. in the sea

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Professional Ski boat

The Supra Comp TS6M is a great ski boat. It is also great for tubing.

It is 6 meters long (19.7 ft) TS6M = Tournament Skier 6 Meters

It is NOT good for use in waves. It has a very harsh ride. It also has a very low freeboard and is easily swamped. In fact the to of the transom only sits 8-10 inches above the water when the boat is at rest.

The Ford 351 is a pretty common motor for this type of application. It will push the boat a little over 40 MPH. These boats are designed and built to pull skiers, not going fast. They will consume plenty of fuel.

All in all they are good boats. However, they are designed for a very specific purpose. There are other boats that are more versatile.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

fuel consumption... its a boat, it isn't going to be good. That is a fairly heavy boat that is geared down some (low pitch prop, meant for low end torque to yank someone out of the hole) Mileage isn't going to be good... Top speed is going to be around 40 mph. Again, its a purpose built boat that never needed to go more than 40.

BARKLEY

Banned

Pretty simple, and I know someone with a boat close to it---JUNK!!!

cr2k

Captain

Is it a 5.7 (GM based 350) or a 5.8 (Ford based 351)? Since skiing is done at around 32 MPH don't expect a blazing top speed. You could reprop it for higher speed probably get it to around 50 or so but you will NEED a glass lake to do over 30 on. Made to produce small wake and go 32 MPH steady.

BARKLEY

Banned

OK-that it is a little gruff. My buddy has close to the same boat. It is the most rough riding boat I have been on for it's size and type of boat. It is not a comfortable boat or a good ride. There are a lot better "Pro ski" boats out there. I grew up with them...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Is it a 5.7 (GM based 350) or a 5.8 (Ford based 351)? Since skiing is done at around 32 MPH don't expect a blazing top speed. Made to produce small wake and go 32 MPH steady.

You mean, 36, right... 36 mph is the mens competition ski speed... :D (yeah, i personally like 32 mph, 36 mph is way too fast, but of course, i'm not going around bouys in any competitive manner either.)