Pontoon Swim ladder

captmello

Captain
I'm looking at installing a ladder off the front deck of my pontoon. It has about 2-3 feet of deck in front of the fencing.

Here's a pic
ToonPics002.jpg
[/IMG]

Any suggestions on the type of ladder to look for? I think it will have to mount it on the deck at the front and flip over and down into the water using a telescoping style ladder.
This will work, but seems like a trip hazard all other times. anyone have any good alternatives?

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Pontoon Swim ladder

It's much easier and convenient to put one on the side. You then have the pontoon for a support.

captmello

Captain

I'm putting one of these on our pontoon. Little pricey though.

http://www.pontoonstuff.com/pontoon-boat/594-under-deck-pontoon-ladder.asp

That is nice, but will it work with my scissor trailer? I don't think so.

I would consider a ladder off the side. but this would limit docking, you think?

Maybe this would work up front, on the side.

http://www.iboats.com/Garelick-Swinger-Pontoon-Boarding-Ladder/dm/*******.655961817--**********.179577651--view_id.38288

Or this removable one might be better yet.

http://www.iboats.com/Garelick-Removable-Folding-Pontoon-Boarding-Ladder/dm/*******.655961817--**********.179577651--view_id.38634

kbish

Cadet

I would consider a ladder off the side. but this would limit docking, you think?

Maybe this would work up front, on the side.

http://www.iboats.com/Garelick-Swinger-Pontoon-Boarding-Ladder/dm/*******.655961817--**********.179577651--view_id.38288

i would be more worried about the lack of any support behind the ladder when you're trying to come up. you can always hang a removable ladder off the side. can still dock no problem and stow the ladder when not in use unless your goal is to have a permanent ladder mounted. do you already have a ladder on the back (if you have a platform back there)?

http://www.pontoonstuff.com/pontoon-boat/182-folding-pontoon-boat-ladders.asp

EGlideRider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yes, I meant a removable ladder. These are the most commonly used ladders for pontoons are are relatively inexpensive.

Fishing Dude too

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I built a bolt down ladder for a pontoon several years ago. Would slid up and down so would be out of water when running. Worked nice, think I had about $75 in it.

captmello

Captain

Thanks for the replies!!!

I do have a ladder at the back, it works great!

ToonPics004.jpg
[/IMG]

However, The kids will be swimming up front and I don't want them to have to swim around back to climb in.

the other issue I'm seeing is that if I put a ladder up front, on the side of the deck, it won't be supported by the tube since that is where the tube begins to come to a point.

I agree with those who mention needing support for the ladder. I may have to fab something to make it all work right...

crappie14

Seaman Apprentice

I'm putting one of these on our pontoon. Little pricey though.

http://www.pontoonstuff.com/pontoon-boat/594-under-deck-pontoon-ladder.asp

My vote is with Redneck_Randy. Perhaps I am not understanding the sissor trailer issue, but other than the price, this type has several pros.
(1) It stores under the pontoon and is not taking up precious spaces on deck.
(2) It is very secure as it can be attached to every crossmember it touches, giving it a stronger attachement than the others I have seen.
(3) It if available up to 5 feet lengths, remember the pontoon deck is well above the water line and finding the bottom step is hard when you get old.
(4) Installation was a breeze.
If you can't find this item on Iboats I have the manufacturer's contact information as I bought mine direct and saved a few bucks. There is a local manufacturer located at Heber Springs, AR that makes this exact model or one real close to it.

Pontuned

Seaman Apprentice

My vote is with Redneck_Randy. Perhaps I am not understanding the sissor trailer issue, but other than the price, this type has several pros.
(1) It stores under the pontoon and is not taking up precious spaces on deck.
(2) It is very secure as it can be attached to every crossmember it touches, giving it a stronger attachement than the others I have seen.
(3) It if available up to 5 feet lengths, remember the pontoon deck is well above the water line and finding the bottom step is hard when you get old.
(4) Installation was a breeze.
If you can't find this item on Iboats I have the manufacturer's contact information as I bought mine direct and saved a few bucks. There is a local manufacturer located at Heber Springs, AR that makes this exact model or one real close to it.

Agreed.

I used to have a ladder on the back and I am so much happier with this setup....well worth the money.

Big Bubba

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hello Everyone,
I have one of those mounted under the deck on my Pontoon Boat already when I bought mine and absolutely love it. I highly recommend one of those ladders.

captmello

Captain

Thanks for the responses!!!

I agree the ladder under the deck is the best but there is a cross member on my trailer that would hit the ladder.:(

I'm starting to think a removable ladder, perhaps at one of the side doors is going to be the best since there is no support up front to help hold the ladder. Unless I could fab some supports to reach the narrowing pontoons at the front, on one side...

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I would be converting the aft ladder into a relocatable ladder so it could be yanked and used at either end.
Flip the deck socket fittings so that they go down into the deck and are flush at bothe ends.
Then add so material so that when at the front the boarding "pressure" is against the underside of the deck crossmembers.
Add some stratically spaced vinyl bumpers to the ladder for when it gets dropped in the lake so it won't sink.

leefes

Recruit

Install the aluminum kind that slides in a tray under the front deck. I know tons of people with them here in AR. $200 probably but is the only way to go. Very solid and easy to put on. It will be the last ladder issue you ever have...no doubt.

Why don't you make one?

I made a a few small changes to this. Made the receiving part a smaller diameter and then drilled through the both of them to put a pin in it to keep it from sliding out. And yes i did install two tubes for the ladder to install into

from the picture you can see I made the loading guides too

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

Last edited: