Ever wish you could turn back time?

wnaplay

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Let me start out by saying the boat at hand is a 1989 maxum that has had a few issues for the past few years. The engine has an issue that should be an easy fix, and there was some rotting wood that really didnt affect the boat operating. Yesterday I posted the boat up for sale and priced it fairly for the known issues. Figuring I could easily get $2k as she sits, maybe more with everything it came with. I go out to get it cleaned up and as I look at the few things that have always bothered me about the boat I start tearing it apart. An hour later the boat is completely gutted down to the floor. Mind you this was a complete boat just an hr earlier. So now I am doing a complete remodel of the thing. So I basically just threw away $2k for an hrs worth of fun destroying something I wasnt sure if I even wanted to keep. I cant tell if I am having remorse or not.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: If wish you could turn back time?

No, not feeling remorse, just finally realizing that the boat was not worth the 2 grand you were gonna try to sell it for.

Now you will find out how easy the engine fix was/is, and how expensive.

Any you will find out if the transom and stringers are rotted.

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Look at it this way you can fix it and have a really god boat built the way you want and fits your needs.

wnaplay

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, not feeling remorse, just finally realizing that the boat was not worth the 2 grand you were gonna try to sell it for.

Now you will find out how easy the engine fix was/is, and how expensive.

Any you will find out if the transom and stringers are rotted.

Around here, this boat in this condition would go for $2k. Now I have seen ads in other areas that in this condition this boat would sell for under $1k. The reason for selling was that I was disabled 2 years ago and that resulted in a lack of desire to go out and use it like I would if it werent so difficult. I have another project I could have used the money on, and my son will be driving this year so a car for him without dipping into savings would have made things easier. Maybe after its all done, I will actually want to use it more. I have owned several boats in the past, and I would swear this one is cursed. far more problems than any other one I have. Always a hassle when its out. PLus theres the cost of gas that will take some of the fun out of it this year. Oh well, now to try and figure out what I am doing on the remodel.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I don't know you just committed yourself to a lot of hours spent on a boat you didn't want.

wnaplay

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't know you just committed yourself to a lot of hours spent on a boat you didn't want.

I know. I am glutten for punishment. I am retired so at least I have time. Maybe not money, but time I do have. My wife says I cant leave well enough alone.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I know. I am glutten for punishment. I am retired so at least I have time. Maybe not money, but time I do have. My wife says I cant leave well enough alone.

Well that changes everything. If you are retired I say have at it. I really like those 80's Maxum's and Bayliners and there's nothing better than a nicely restored one. Do you have another one you can get on the water with for the year while you restore this one?

wnaplay

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well that changes everything. If you are retired I say have at it. I really like those 80's Maxum's and Bayliners and there's nothing better than a nicely restored one. Do you have another one you can get on the water with for the year while you restore this one?

I personally do not have another boat to use, however I wont be off the lake all year due to my parents owning a much nicer boat already on a lake. Its a few states away but we try to vacation there often. I much prefer their larger lake compared to the small areas to boat around here anyway. We arent huge boating people especially since 2 of our 3 children arent that fond of it. I guess I should say that we arent big boating people because 2 of our 3 children arent.

fireman57

Captain

I hope that your wife's name is "Well enough". I don't think she wants to be left alone.

wnaplay

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I hope that your wife's name is "Well enough". I don't think she wants to be left alone.

I am retired(home all day) and my wife only works 3 hrs a day and not at all during the summer when the kids are out of school. Trust me, she wants me to leave her alone. lol