johson 150hp 2001 no oil light comes on and I have keep squeezing primer

stylesabu

Master Chief Petty Officer
I had this boat out on tuesday ran great,even towed a stranded boat 6 miles. I ran it out of gas,had back up fuel.took it out yesterday and it won't stay runningmore thjan 45 seconds.bulb rock hard starts right up runds about 20 seconds 1/2 throttle,no oil light comes,still running fine 10-15 seconds more, rpm drops and it will die in anotherb 20 seconds,bulb is limp/soft. if i get to the bulb in time i can keep it running,but the oil light stays on. I think I need a new fuel pump diaphram. any ideas?

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: johson 150hp 2001 no oil light comes on and I have keep squeezing primer

The no oil light means the OMS/VRO pump is not picking up oil. The engine RPMs will drop because the engine will go into SLOW mode to protect itself.

stylesabu

i was able to keep rpm up by squeezing bulb.I just took it apart thinking ther was a bad diaphram. something else is wrong I checked and tightened all my fuel lines.I'll do a little more reading,have factory manual

boobie

Supreme Mariner

On that mtr the no oil will not put it into Slow. That's only on E-Tecs. From the sounds of it you need a new vro.

Big flop

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your OEM service Manuel should have a VRO
vacuum and pressure test that will check the
diaphragm and the housing.
If it passes remove the fuel in line from the
bottom of the pump and install a clear hose
you can run it and look for air being sucked
into the system?
Check the pulse fitting on the block.
If the pump won't pump gas it won't
pump oil.

stylesabu

I think your right boobie,rebuild kits are available any more for this motor so,I ordered a new vro.it comes with new pulse check valve.I did crank motor over and was getting pulse at pulse hose.I did see the use of clear hose will be running these tests today.will keep posted