Cobalt 200 vs SeaRay 205 ? any views

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer
Thinking of changing my current rig ... Maxum 1800SR3

Use is as a runabout for towed sports inshore. Not into competition just recreational waterskiing, wake & knee board.
Only extras I use are a WakeTower and SmartTabs.

The plus point about the Maxum is that with jump seats at rear (rather than bench) it gives good floor area for kitting up.

Thinking of 2 options - both with 5.0L MPI and Alpha One drive.

SeaRay 205 21' x 8' and 1476kg (3254lb)

COBALT 200
20'10" x 8' 4" and 1628kg (3589lb)

Just on specs the COBALT is 10% heavier, the power to wgt ratio is a bit better on the Searay at 176 compared to 159 (Cobalt) ..... but I appreciate that hull design can make much more difference than just the weight & power.

Anybody got any views +ve or -ve on either option, or about either manufacturer in general.

They seem similar in price.

Summer Fun

Banned
Re: Cobalt 200 vs SeaRay 205 ? any views

I'm a Sea Ray lover so you know what one I'd take. :D

Tafflad

Chief Petty Officer

I'd have another Maxum tomorrow ... but they are no longer in business, so I have to find an alternative.

mpod

Seaman Apprentice

We had the opportunity to check out the new cobalt 200 at a boat show this year. Of all the <23' boats at the show, it was our favorite. Some things that caught my attention.

The fit and finish was as nice as any cobalt there. The seating layout of the 200 was similar to that of many v-drive wake boats but with a walk through. We also really noticed the extra 4-6"of beam when compared to many other 20' boats. There is massive storage behind the port side rear facing seat. Also loved the flip down 2 tier swim platform. The hand stitched dash at the helm is really classy.

I would take a 200 over a 210 or 230 just because of the unique layout/design.

Wife says the Cobalt 200 is our next boat (someday). Who am I to argue.

They had an introductory $35K out the door price at the boat show (including trailer, prep, etc). Yes it costs a lot more than our current bayliner 195 did but not too bad for a Cobalt.

We walked around in the Sea Rays as well. They are good boats but not that dissimilar to many other bowriders out there. In my opinion, for what that's worth, the Cobalt 200 really stood out from the pack. Seeing it in person made me a big fan.

jkust

Rear Admiral

I dislike smaller Sea Rays. The dealer is up the street and I take my Chap there for winterizing and browse the models and chat with the sales person. They are all over the lakes here in MN as well. I checked them out as well when I bought my sig boat. The elephant in the show room was how lacking they were compared to the other brands but for more money. The Cobalt is a premium boat and the Sea Ray in that size isn't. Wider Beam and Heavier says a lot as well. Just my opinion but I really, truly believe the smaller SR's are marketing over form. Interestingly the newest Cobalt magazine ads actually now advertise the price of the "well equiped 200" at 34k and change. I hadn't seen that before for Cobalts.

veritas honus

Lieutenant Commander

Sea Ray has far and away, my favorite hull design. The lines are beautiful, and just seem to have a more streamlined look to them than any others out there that I've seen. Over all, though, from what I've seen, Cobalt is superior in fit/finish, attention to detail, and overall build quality. I would still, absolutely not walk away from a Sea Ray given the right circumstances. I have a Chaparral, and I love both boats you're thinking about... Get all the opinions you can. look well at all your options, and you'll make a well informed decision. Good luck!!! Please keep us posted. Don't forget pics!!!