Buying my first boat

ehsan

Recruit
Thanks in advance for the replys.

I am trying to get a 17 to 21 foot fishing boat. Center Console only and have a budget of around $4500. I have been looking and looking. Have my eye set of 2 boats that i will be looking at tommorow.

Would like to get yalls thoughts on these two. Anything i should avoid? check more into depth? suggestions? thanks! :D

he said 2 guages dont work, but tack and gas work, everything else works

http://gainesville.craigslist.org/boa/2365653671.html

1 Proline CC w/225 Evinrude - 1987. SS prop. New throttle and shift cables. Boat hull is in great condition. Has VHF radio and Lowrance color fish finder. Double Axle Gator brand trailer with new LED lighting. Engine runs good. Outboard is mounted on a bracket. Bow pulpit with anchor. Floors and transom are solid. The pic of the boat in the water was last week. Please call or reply via email for details.

3mb3oa3p45Y05V25X2b56f7c7eb6acc2f1e4b.jpg

3k53m23lc5Q25T15Z2b567113e6ff92fa186f.jpg

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sarasota.craigslist.org/boa/2374261644.html

this boat is ready for the water looks great runs great very roomy this boat is a 17'5ft very solid it is a double line hull lots of storage fishbox livewell tilt &trim lots more to this boat

jakesfatherboat017.jpg

SeaDouble

Cadet
Re: Buying my first boat

Where do you fish mostly? Inshore or offshore? By yourself? With how many others?

What year is the engine on the proline?

If you fish mostly inshore and close offshore, and by yourself or with one other guy, I'd go with the aquasport. It's 10 years newer, it looks to be in great shape, and you will get much better fuel economy.

That pro-line with the big 2 stroke will drink the gas. But if offshore is your thing or you like ti fish with a couple other guys the 21' might be a better fit and you could repower it with a 4 stroke in a year or 2.

Inspect the bottom of the proline for hairline cracks and soft spots. Also ask if the fuel tank has been replaced, as it would be overdue for that being an '87.

Inquire about engine hours, and check the compression on each cylinder if you have a gauge. Definitely have the guys run the motors for you, and if you can sea-trial both of them.

Based solely off the info in the ads, if it were me, I would go with the aquasport since it is much newer and will be much more affordable to run. But if the motor is newer on the proline, then that might change my opinion.

Good luck!

ehsan

Recruit

thanks so much for the quick reply.

I will be doing mainly inshore but if i want to take it out offshore like a couple miles it would be ok. Id have a max of like 3 or 4 ppl including myself on the trips. i try not to go alone.

not sure of they year will have to ask him again. I myself am leaning towards the aquasport just needed a few more opinions. :) ill probably go see that one first.
And make sure to check all that you said

SeaDouble

Cadet

Thats a smokin deal on that Angler! Should go fast at that price. Shouldn't be too tough to buff that paint off the sides.

noworries79

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thats a smokin deal on that Angler! Should go fast at that price. Shouldn't be too tough to buff that paint off the sides.

What he said. It sounds like this boat has been run alot, possibly serviced alot as well. We all know that running an engine is the best thing for it. Good luck with your purchase!

Tight lines

My two cents: I am on my third boat in 7 years. Each time, I went smaller. I started in AZ with a big twin cruiser, 95 Sea Ray Sundancer 330DA. We moved to FL and bought a canal house in Port Charlotte and bought a 26' walk around cabin with a Volvo Penta I/O. One thing I learned is the bigger the boat, the bigger the maintenance bills. If you're starting out on a strict budget, you will likely not be in a position to spend thousands a year on maintenance. And the only thing worse than not having a boat is having a boat that sits unused. The bigger the boat, the less many people use them.

I finally got a Key West 196 Bay Reef with a single Yama 150 2 stroke I can maintain myself. I use this one more than either of the first two combined. You may also find that those guys who say they will go out with you will often not be available. My advice to you is to get a a 17-19 footer with an outboard that is no more than 10 years old. A Key West 1720 sportsman with a 90hp OB would serve you well. It'll do great in shore and be fine in 2-3 foot seas a few miles out. Remember that a 2 stroke engine, on average, has 300 fewer moving parts than a 4 stroke. The MPG will be lower on a 2 banger but you'll also be able to maintain it more at home vs. paying a mechanic.

If you're not going to have a mechanic check out the motor, which most people don't, at least spend 50 bucks at your local auto supply and buy a compression testing kit. There's instructions all over the internet for how to do it and what you're looking for. That's what I did and I made a great buy, $4k less than the seller was advertising for. Best of luck.