2010 Mercruiser engine scan tool and engine service manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkeep77

Recruit
I have a new 2011 Sanger V210 with a 2010 mercruiser scorpion 350 DTS and Smart craft (mercmonitor) computer system. I am in the 2nd half of the break in period (20 hrs total)!!!! I have gotten a 2 TPS errors recently and now I got an error 71 (engine misfire) the first time I towed at full throttle. I woult understand a single engine misfire detection from the computer but with the smartcraft display alarming me every minute or two it gets real annoying! The TPS errors went away after about an hour the day they occurred but I didn't give the misfire code that long. It's too much trouble to take to a dealer so I want to buy a scan tool that can do everything. I cant really determine which tool to get based on my newer engine. (serial number 1A092383). Also will the engine service manual have error codes that match the smartcraft error numbers?? Any help would be much appreciated!!

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Re: 2010 Mercruiser engine scan tool and engine service manual

is the warranty expired?? have the dealer come to you/pay for transport

the best tool for codes/diagnostic is a CDS but thats big bucks for a laptop, program, smartcoms box and cables

you might get by with a rinda scan tool but thats only gonna tell ya codes, not fix the problem

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

you might get by with a rinda scan tool but thats only gonna tell ya codes, not fix the problem

The scan tool will work, and it does a lot more than just codes. You actually can view the voltages of each individual sensor, just not as fast and as many at a time that you can do with the full laptop, but it will work just fine.

I to would be headed for the dealer for warranty. At this point you don't know if there is a service bulletin on it or not. If you fix it, you may end up putting the same problem back in it.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

That serial number isn't registered yet. Might want to make sure that gets done in case there is a recall.
Only a Mercruiser dealer can own a CDS, at least that?s what I?ve been told. I do know that ours needs to sync every other week.
I really think that it would be in your best interest to take it back to the selling dealer that you bought it from. Boat warranty?s aren?t like car warranty?s. Car dealers make money off of warranty work, Mercruiser dealers usually lose money on problems like your describing. So the best hope is the selling dealer made enough money to afford to spend the time to track your problem down.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Only a Mercruiser dealer can own a CDS

Very true, I kind of assumed dubs was talking about the Rinda computer diagnostic software.

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...

After using Vodia, CDS,G3 and diacom. I like Diacom the best. Don't much like the techmate, DDT was better.

lkeep77

Recruit

Yea, dealer would be nice but I have a weird situation. My dealer is a friend of mine, they are not mercruiser certified because they normally just sell Tige boats. (Indmar). I could of bought my boat directly from the manufacturer (Sanger) small company. I was scared to do that because of (situations like this). But they are 2 hours away and I don't want to haul it all the way there if this is a simple error reset or from bad gas. My engine manual says to run 89 octane. I have been. Still a little confused as to why it calls for mid grade when it is full of catalytic converters and o2 sensors/knock sensors. Probably higher compression pistons. When the boat still runs perfect even with the ALarm going off it makes it hard to justify driving 2 hours for a 1 time misfire. I am willing to spend the money because I will use the computer on my boat as well as some friends boats. I have 3 good friends that are GM mechanics and could assist with diagnosis, ( they warned that a 1 time engine misfire could be a ton of different things and if it were a car they would have trouble finding it (intermittent). Said a boat at a dealer, running (not under load) would be real hard to duplicate!!

I am starting to ramble on now! Yikes! I will use the warranty but if I have a scan tool to help narrow down to 1 time incident or a real problem then it would be easier to justify towing the boat to a dealer!

I really appreciate the help.

Fun Times

Staff member

You don't have to take the boat back to your non mercruiser certified Tige boat dealer.

But your in tough situation because most likely who ever works on this particular situation is probably going to take more than 2 or 4 hours real time to diagnose this one with the probability of needing to call in Mercruiser tech support for assistance because of what is popping up. If so you are better off finding a Mercruiser Premier Dealer that specializes in fuel injection to help you out like (I'm guessing) maybe someone like,
http://local.yahoo.com/info-21246492-ed-s-marine-service-fresno

Your tps could be anything from rigging of the boat (Misadjusted DTS) to a bad tps sensor or anything in between like a Short in the Wire Harness, loose wire connections somewhere, ect.

And your looking at about the same situation with the misfire. It could be a bad injector, wiring harness, PCM 09, ect, All going to injector number 7 it appears.

Also your going to need to get the engine registered in order to get all this work done. Any mercruiser dealer that works on the engine for you can registered the engine online for you at the dealership.

The problem your having appears it maybe beyond the rinda capabilities, But don't quote me on that because that is an amazing little tool.;) also you would need the version 6 to be able to read your PCM-09 catalyst equipped engine you have.

$400.00 for the scan tool. plus the $100.00 for the service manual. for a new boat under warranty.:eek:
http://www.rinda.com/marine/marine.htm#merctool

Yes the new service manual will show you the faults, But you would need your 3 GM tech friends to help understand them.:p J/K.:)

Also you need to make sure your Minimum battery rating is 800 CCA, 1000 MCA, or 180 Ah

Engine Specifications
Model Scorpion 350
Power 246 kW (330 hp)
Displacement 5.7 L (350 cid)
Specified WOT RPM range 4800?5200
Idle RPM in neutral 650 (not adjustable)
Minimum oil pressure at idle 41 kPa (6 psi)
Thermostat 71? C (160? F)
Timing at idle Not adjustable
Firing order 1‑8‑4‑3‑6‑5‑7‑2
Electrical system 12 V negative (?) ground
Alternator rating 65 A
Minimum battery rating 800 CCA, 1000 MCA, or 180 Ah
Spark plug type AC Platinum (AC 41‑993)
Spark plug gap 1.5 mm (0.060 in.)

TPS2_ETC_NoAdapt, TPS2 failed to adapt over 10 consecutive key-up cycles - DTS engines only 521129 Mechanical_System_not_Responding_or_Out_of_Adjustment.

TPS2_RangeHigh, TPS2 sensors shorted highVoltage_Above_Normal_or_Shorted_to_High_Source.

TPS2_RangeLow, TPS2 sensors shorted low. Voltage_Below_Normal_or_Shorted_to_Low_Source.

Your service manual part number is 90-879288023 - SM SUPPLEMENT: MODELS WITH EMISSIONS CONTROL

lkeep77

Recruit

SWEET! That is exactly what I am looking for! Thank you. I'm not so worried about the TPS as that went away. The one thing I did both days that I got errors that (I don't really think matters) is had the battery disconnect switch off and turned the key on which does turn on the smart craft gauges and mercmonitor as I followed their power source directly to the battery. I did this while fueling up to monitor the gas gauge. Didn't realize the battery disconnect was still off. Will this cause any type of computer memory loss or confusion? Will the computer have to "RE-Learn" every time I disconnect the battery??? Also, ERROR 71 Engine misfire - did I read correctly where you said that does point to cylinder 7???? I could check my spark plug wires and injector connector for loose connections just on that cylinder.

Thank you!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.