Anodes

nickmo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I need to replace the anodes on both motors. They're the zincs just above the propeller.
They have the little keel on them. My question is: Where do you align the keel with the increments stamped on the motor?
Thanks

Re: Anodes

The "skeg" you are referring to is used to offset steering torque from the motor. You are going to turn it towards the direction the boat is pulling you. When you feel you have the right setting scribe a mark on the bottom of the gearcase or remember the angle it is set at.

user64

Seaman

Does that anode actually perform that function on counter rotating twins or is it just for the corrosion factor?

You know that is a good question, I don't know but usually the port engine will be a counter rotation therefor off setting the starboard engine torque. The thing I like most about outboards is that if you are at a marina you can tilt your engine all the way out of the water. This is when you can find the worst case of electrolysis, charged particles that attack metal, and have heard stories (never seen) of how an anode was visually dissolving like an alkaseltzer tablet. So it helps with corrosion to a certain point and should be replaced when about 2/3 gone.