1995 115 mer outboard will not always kick into 4 cylliars

goeracing

Recruit
runs great in 2 cyclliars but sometimes will it kick into all 4 cycillars when rpms are up sometimes will try and not and sometimes it will, when it kicks inro 4 it also runs great

pinellas50

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1995 115 mer outboard will not always kick into 4 cylliars

So sometimes it bogs when you go to full throttle?

There are two things that effect the transition from 2 to 4. One is the accelerator pump(that's probably not the real name of it on a boat motor). The other are the idle mixture screws on the upper 2 carbs. These motors are very touchy with sync and link when it comes to the transition.

I recently rebuilt my carbs. I had a mechanic do the sync and link for me as I didn't feel my knowledge was up to the task. He wasn't able to finish the procedure correctly by taking the boat out on the water for the fine tune. Sure enough, the first time I hit the throttle the motor bogged. I expected this and expected I would need to richen the idle circuits.

I turned the idle mixture screws litteraly the width of the blade of a small screw driver to richen the circuits. The motor has been spot on ever since with just this minute adjustment. My point is the motor is very touchy with the sync and link.

Start with these 2 items is my suggestion.

joezek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm fairly new as far as 4 stroke outboards go, but it sounds like your saying this engine is designed to run on only 2 cylinders at low power? That's pretty damn cool.

I work on aircraft engines (15 years) and there's normally a slight rough transition from idle circuit to power circuit right around 1400 rpm, so I like to richen the idle mixture a little bit to make the transition un-noticeable. When in doubt run the mixture screws slightly rich.

What makes you think this is a 4 stroke, is it a V block or an inline 4?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

when rpms are up sometimes will try and not and sometimes it will,
How high are are the RPM's when it trys? Acclerator pump,sync and link, injectors clogged/blocked can cause this problem....