New to Illinois Quad Cities area...

dkdubb

Recruit
Recently moved up here and I am looking for good lakes to go boating and camping with this summer with my fiancee. I would prefer something within 3 hours or so of the Quad Cities either in Illinois or Iowa. Any one have any suggestions?

riverkeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: New to Illinois Quad Cities area...

Not sure if you're still looking for an answer but you may have noticed that HUGE river that runs right through the Quad Cities. It is a river so you have to respect the dangers but if you talk to some locals (like me), you can learn to safely navigate it and have loads of fun. Also, there are numerous campgrounds right along the river. As a matter of fact, there's a very popular one just to the south in Buffalo IA. A lot of people camp right on the islands in the river. No facilities but they have a good time. If you're set on a lake, the closest is Coralville Lake and there is camping places there but the lake gets crowded. About 3 1/2 hours will get you to some others (Mark Twain MO, Clinton Lake IL, and Shelbyville IL.

dkdubb

Recruit

I have noticed that big river running through the area, but having never been on it, I don't want to put my boat in unless I am with someone who knows the river well. Once I learn where to go around the river and where to stay away from, I hope to boat it quite frequently since it is much closer than any of the lakes. If you ever don't mind someone tagging along when you go boating, I'd love to follow you one day and learn about the Mississippi.

newc048

Seaman Apprentice

Im from Davenport and we normally drop in at either Sunset Marina in Rock Island, the ramp in Leclaire behind Sneaky Pete's restaurant, or at the Go Fish restaurant in Princeton. Princeton beach is a nice beach that alot of people go to and is always fun on the weekends