Many lessons to learn from a tragedy

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral
I hestitate to call anyone "stupid" when there are lives lost, but this is where we post boating mishaps.

The most important take-away point is that the lifepreservers were "on board but not available when the boat capsized." Without opening the debate about wearing them "all the time," the more important reality is that when they are needed, there is seldom more than 3 seconds, if that, to get them. Stow them out of the way and they may as well be on shore.
Second, a 22' boat overloaded at night with 10 adult partiers, on a busy harbor yet weeknight at midnight when there are no other recreational boats around, is certain disaster.

BTW those who swam, swam several miles. Another foolish venture.

Nine rescued, 1 missing after boat capsizes in James River
By Cindy Clayton
The Virginian-Pilot
? May 13, 2011
SMITHFIELD

Nine people were saved and a search is continuing for a 10th person in the James River after a 22-foot sailboat capsized before midnight Thursday, according to the Virginia Marine Police.

Ten people, who appeared to be in their 20s, who had been at a party took the boat into the river from Newport News between 11 and 11:30 p.m., said John Bull, marine police spokesman. The boat capsized about 11:30 p.m., spilling the boaters into the water. The boat drifted and was later hit by the tugboat Robert Byrd.

Shortly before 4 a.m., Coast Guard officials received a report from the tugboat crew about the collision, said Lt. Mike Patterson. The sailboat was reportedly adrift in the vicinity of the James River Reserve Fleet, or "Ghost Fleet," when the collision happened.

Five of the boaters clinging to a gas can and a boat fender they found floating in the water managed to kick their way to shore in the Aberdeen Field area at Smithfield and call for help, Bull said. A fender is a type of bumper that cushions the hull of a boat.

Firefighters who had placed additional equipment in the area because of a week-long maritime exercise were able to get to the scene and, along with the Coast Guard, helped pull four people from the river, Bull said.

"This was an all-hands-on-deck response," Bull said of the firefighters from across the region. "Their help was critical. Because they were on scene so fast, that?s why they were there to pull people out of the water."

The nine people who were rescued were taken to Riverside Regional Medical Center for treatment. One of the people who was rescued had suffered injuries that were considered life-threatening, Bull said.

The search for the missing boater will continue as long as necessary, Bull said.

The Coast Guard Cutter Chock assisted with the efforts along with a helicopter and rescuers from the agency's Portsmouth station. Isle of Wight firefighters and sheriff's deputies were on the scene along with troopers and rescue experts from Virginia State Police. Newport News and Hampton sent rescue boats and Carrollton also assisted.

The Virginia Marine Police had several boats on the scene and investigators were talking with people on the shore along with the survivors in the hospital. The sailboat was being towed to Huntington Park and is considered evidence, Bull said. Marine police found life preservers on the boat, but the boaters weren't wearing them and they were not available when the vessel capsized.

Patterson said the Coast Guard also will investigate the incident.

Winds were light and variable overnight, about 5 to 10 knots, Patterson said. Visibility was about 10 miles on the river.

The firefighters who helped with the rescues overnight were part of the 20th annual Robert E. Rumens Hampton Roads Firefighting Symposium, said Norfolk Fire-Rescue Battalion Chief Harry Worley, who is deputy director of the symposium. Firefighters from across the country and several from Singapore have been learning shipboard firefighting since Monday and had put their equipment in place for a hands-on exercise today at the Ghost Fleet on the river.

Cadwelder

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Many lessons to learn from a tragedy

Things like this are always going to happen.....but still very sad to hear when it does.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Without opening the debate about wearing them "all the time," the more important reality is that when they are needed, there is seldom more than 3 seconds, if that, to get them. Stow them out of the way and they may as well be on shore.

You can't put a PFD on in 3 seconds!

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

they just found the missing body yesterday. These people were grad students working at NASA Langley--yes, rocket scientists.

Next time you're at the marina, look at a 22' sailboat--a very popular size--and picture 10 adults on it.

j_martin

Admiral

they just found the missing body yesterday. These people were grad students working at NASA Langley--yes, rocket scientists.

Next time you're at the marina, look at a 22' sailboat--a very popular size--and picture 10 adults on it.

Well, a sailboat ain't rocket science. It takes common sense.

Art Bernard

Banned

I hate to hear of things like this, but it does go to show ya that having a college degree dosen't make you smart, ie, common sense. As far as pfd's go, daytime+calm weather = optional, daytime + rough weather= on, nightime= on. Just my 2 cents.

Art

D

DJ

I think the key word here was: "partying".

No degree of smarts, or common sense, comes into play when that has been going on.

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Very sad to hear. All I can say is you don't hear all these stories about people WEARING pfd's drowning.

45Auto

Commander

Now if we can just get people to stop drinking and start start wearing PFD's ALL the time, even when they're not on the boat, we could save almost 10 times the amount of people who drown in boating accidents ....

<H1>Unintentional Drowning: Fact Sheet</H1>

Overview

Every day, about ten people die from unintentional drowning. Of these, two are children aged 14 or younger. Drowning is the sixth leading cause of unintentional injury death for people of all ages, and the second leading cause of death for children ages 1 to 14 years.1
How big is the problem?

• In 2007, there were 3,443 fatal unintentional drownings (non-boating related) in the United States, averaging ten deaths per day. An additional 496 people died from drowning in boating-related incidents.
Alcohol Use. Alcohol use is involved in up to half of adolescent and adult deaths associated with water recreation and about one in five reported boating fatalities.9, 10 Alcohol influences balance, coordination, and judgment, and its effects are heightened by sun exposure and heat.

http://www.cdc.gov/HomeandRecreationalSafety/Water-Safety/waterinjuries-factsheet.html

sw33ttooth

Chief Petty Officer

i will never wear my life jacket while boating but i make every one under 10 wear them [i think law stats 6?] and if some one cant swim i make sure its close enough to them and they know where its at as for me mine is 3 inches from my leg while driveing between the seat and the wall. its like that little emergency shut off switch i connect it to my key ring but i wont put it on my belt loop. there will always be safty devices and there will always be ways around them, factory just puts it on there to cover there buts from being sued.

i do wear my life jacket when i take a dip in the lake i put it on and tie a rope to me and the boat and i just relaxingly float around. also i may drive and i know i drink but never at the same time nor under influence.