1957 evinrude 18hp timing?

G

Is there a way to adjust timing on a 1957 evinrude 18hp? I have good spark and I've converted it to a mikuni fuel pump, which works well and pumps fuel. But it seems as if I'm getting fuel in the combustion chamber on the exhaust stroke rather then the compression stroke because I have no fire at all and there is fuel coming out of the exhaust? I don't know what would cause it to suck fuel on the exhaust stroke rather then the compression stroke so I was also thinking maybe the timing is off and I'm gettin spark before the fuel and then the unburnt fuel is just being forced out the exhaust. I'm lost here and new to two stroke motors so id really appreciate any input! Thank y'all
Code:
!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1957 evinrude 18hp timing?

Did you set your points to exactly 020?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Is there a way to adjust timing on a 1957 evinrude 18hp? I have good spark and I've converted it to a mikuni fuel pump, which works well and pumps fuel. But it seems as if I'm getting fuel in the combustion chamber on the exhaust stroke rather then the compression stroke because I have no fire at all and there is fuel coming out of the exhaust? I don't know what would cause it to suck fuel on the exhaust stroke rather then the compression stroke so I was also thinking maybe the timing is off and I'm gettin spark before the fuel and then the unburnt fuel is just being forced out the exhaust. I'm lost here and new to two stroke motors so id really appreciate any input! Thank y'all
Code:
!

Your reasoning is totally flawed. Have you considered the possibility that it is getting too much fuel? There is a narrow range of fuel / air mixtures that is combustable.

I also wonder if your spark plug wires are mixed up?

Timing is not adjustable on that motor.

G

Yea like I said, I'm really new to 2 stroke engines so don't be surprised if moost of what I say is a little off. The wires aren't crossed and the points are exactly 020. Ill check fuel air mixture again maybe there is just too much fuel! Any other thoughts though?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Sure, but check the reasonable stuff first. There should not be raw fuel dripping out of that motor. Way too much fuel for some reason.

G

I didn't think the timing was adjustable though. Ill check the high and low speed needles again when I get off work today. Ill re adjust them, I also need to look into how exactly they work because I'm also new to carbs and not exactly sure how they work. I know most of it but not everything. I really do appreciate yalls help, I'm trying to learn as I go so keep throwing stuff at me. Illl see what's going on after work and let you know afterwards. Thanks again!

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Check the FAQS on this forum and start reading, lots of useful info there.

You will especially want to read one by Joe Reeves regarding carb needle adjustments.

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

There is a possibility your fuel pressure is too high.There is a very good conversion to a normal single line fuel system.