55 hp cooling problems

King of the Sea

Recruit
My '69 sea king 55hp dosnt seems to be circulating water. I put a new impeller and pump housing in it with no change. I took out the pipe plug by the thermostat and only get white smoke or steam. I went a step further (maybe too far) and took off the side exhaust cover to check that for cracks for blockage. no problems there. I started the engine with that cover off and water flows like a hose from the top port where it would enter the cover. Am i over looking something simple or is this going to be a major overhaul?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 55 hp cooling problems

If that engine is the same as the Chrysler, then water to the head is delivered from the exhaust cover. if the head is not getting water, the engine will overheat even though the rest of the block is getting water. You have proven that water is getting up tio the top of the block. Now, you need the disassemble the cover, spacer, and stainless plate to check for sediment or corrosion blocking water to the head. It is not really a big job, but you will undoubtably destroy the gaskets so either be certain you can buy new ones or be sure you can fabricate new ones by hand.

You will notice I said spacer. The Chrysler 55 had an aluminum spacer about 1/4 inch thick between the exhaust cover and block to increase exhaust chamber volume. This was one way they increased horsepower over the same block on the 35 and 45. Of course, bore and stroke was also greater.

King of the Sea

Recruit

Yes, this is a Chrysler motor, M. Wards just slapped their cover on it.

That is where i am at, and also have that question of gaskets on my mind after I destroyed them. Is there any way that the exhaust gasses could be over powering the water? the steam coming from the plug is directly related to rpms. the motor runs like a top, so i have a hard time to belive its something like a cracked block or something. but im hoping im making this into a bigger problem in my head than it really is.

Thank you.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

You were lucky to not break any of those screws on the exaust covers. You can try here. This looks like it might work for your motor. Click here. If making your own gaskets you will need to make sure the material you use will not blow out. NAPA can help you with this.