1991 Mercury 115 tilt motor dead, How do I get it off??

93nitro

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone, I purchased a boat with a 1991 115 Merc on it. Purchased without lower unit and now have one on the way. New problem is that while playing around with the motor I realized the tilt pump is dead. Tried hooking pump directly to the battery already. My problem is that it is stuck in the down position. Am I missing something on how to get the pump out so I can get one on order. (Can't order a new one until I get the numbers off of the current one.) Is there a release somewhere on it? Do I need to relieve pressure somewhere? I have the motor off of the boat now as I bought it for a replacement for my boat. Please help. Somewhat lost here. Thanks.

RRitt

Captain
Re: 1991 Mercury 115 tilt motor dead, How do I get it off??

if you have the single ram trim then you don't need a part number. Everything since 1989 through 2010 uses the same motor now. It is backwards compatible with all previous single ram trim systems. square base, built in reservoir, 2w. Arco and Sierra make good product.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Unbolt the PTT unit from the motor. You may need to remove one side of the transom bracket to get to it.

93nitro

Seaman Apprentice

if you have the single ram trim then you don't need a part number. Everything since 1989 through 2010 uses the same motor now. It is backwards compatible with all previous single ram trim systems. square base, built in reservoir, 2w. Arco and Sierra make good product.

That is excellent news. Thanks for the post!

93nitro

Seaman Apprentice

Unbolt the PTT unit from the motor. You may need to remove one side of the transom bracket to get to it.

Ok I wasn't smart enough to check this before I pulled it off and its not exactly easy to move this hunk around when its laying on the floor. I appreciate the help!