Stuck driveshaft on rude 9.5

Star

Chief Petty Officer
I found a pretty 9.5 68 evenrude I cant get the splined shaft out of end of crank. anyone been there done that ? Been soaking but nogo. What fails here no corrosion.
Fresh water only.:confused:

highcountry

Seaman
Re: Stuck driveshaft on rude 9.5

Well I wrote a complete break down of how I got mine out and it said that I wasn't logged in when I posted it, so I'll try again in short form. I used an old lifters weight and drilled a hole in the center that would just fit over the shaft, below it I put on a couple of wire connectors for large wire that bolt together (2/0 or so) and used the weight as a slide hammer. Make sure that you mount the clamps where there are no bearings in the lower open shaft area and brace the power head so that it can't move. Don't get carried away and break anything.

Star

Chief Petty Officer

Thank you for your rapid responce. Won't I damage the bearing retainers in the alum. block? what did you find after you got it out. Was the spline distorted in any way? )

highcountry

Seaman

I had to split the case on mine and heat the crank to finally get it loose. There are some other threads on this in here that you might check. I don't want you to break anything, mine was a 65 and I had exhausted all other ideas. Because it has the o ring in the end of the block it never really got any pb in the rusty spline, it was really rusted.