88 spl throttle problem

Slyder760

Cadet
Hello everyone I am new to this but I need HELP! I have an 1989 88spl that is bogging after half throttle. I have rebuilt the carbs and fuel pump and it has gotten better but still will not go past half throttle. Any time you go past half throttle the motor sounds as if it will take the gas then it dont and it does this continously but never speeds up or smooths out until you come back below half throttle. I have this on a 1984 stratos 355v and believe it should run way faster than 23 mph. I have over 10 years rebuilding car carbs and motors so maybe that will help me through this. Please Help!!!!

Slyder760

Cadet
Re: 88 spl throttle problem

Forgot to mention also checked the compression top two cylinders had 110 lbs and bottom 2 only had 102 and 105 is this to low for this engine?

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class

Your compression number are on the low side. Maybe try the decarb process under the "Secret Files".

I would look closely at the throttle linkage. Make sure the carb butterflies are fully opening, spark advance arm is moving freely, no problems with broken or loose parts...

crappie14

Seaman Apprentice

Don't know that I have anything to offer other than relating a personal experience on a 75 HP Mariner 3 cyclinder. It would take spells of basically not wanting to take fuel other than running at a fast idle. Start and run fine, give it the throttle and it would not take fuel and go. Back the throttle off, run fine a 3-5 mph. It started when you would first launch and on occasion it would run perfect, then it would start again. I rebuild carbs, checked filters, bulbs, hose, etc but what fixed the problem was replacing the power pack. When you find your problem, post the resolution. I really doubt your compression numbers are causing your issues.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

The compression is fine.

Try pumping the fuel line bulb when this happens and see if that helps, if it does you still have a fuel delivery problem. It could be the fuel pump, air leak, or still some gunk in the carb.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 1988 Evo 60 hp does the same thing. I twist the manual choke real quick and it takes off. Still can't figure it out. I'm going to start a new thread on this. Hope you find your problem.

Slyder760

Cadet

To boat out again today and tried pumping the primer bulb while running to see if it would then take any throttle over half and it only made the situation worse. Don't know if this would be a proper way to check it but I had a spark checker for a car and tried it on each cylinder one at a time and ran motor and all cylinders were firing is it possible that it isn't firing hot enough? Starting to think about pulling the carbs back down and trying it again maybe missed something. Thanks for everyone's help so far sorry for the long time to get back between work and a newborn the hobbies are getting pushed off some.....

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

It's nice to see you came back.

If everything was is working correctly inside the carb then pumping the bulb would either have no affect, or it would help, to say it was worse means there are problems with the float needle. Pumping the bulb only acts like a fuel pump and would also eliminate any fuel line air leak, so if your fuel pump was weak, or you had an air leak, pumping the bulb would make it run better. If the float and needle are working correctly they will stop the carb from feeding too much fuel to the engine.

The throttle linkage and carb linkage are connected and need to be set correctly for it to run right, so you may want to check that also.

Slyder760

Cadet

I have done more research and have seen many people talking about the stator not producing enough power causing problems of this nature. And also to go along with what you are saying possibly needing a linc and sync? Problem with the linc and sync is that my local dealer told me there was no such thing on this motor. Maybe he's not such a good dealer or do I just need a manual to do it myself? Thanks for the help

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Have you checked the high speed jets? Try squirting some fuel into the carbs at WOT and see if a cylinder picks up. If it does you need to do some carb work paying attention to the high speed jets.

Slyder760

Cadet

I pulled out the jets again yesterday and they were all spotless as were all the passages through to them. Although I have not shot gas straight into the carbs. Is it safe to run the motor on the lake without the air silencer on it?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

As long as you don't splash water up there you will be fine. Engine will sound louder though.