Why 2 plugs

zoe26

Recruit
Sorry for what will be a simple answer but im very new and just got my first boat. I know about the drain plugs and to remove them etc but my question.

Why do I have 2 drain plugs. Theres one at the stern at the very bottom of the V and one about 6 inches above which is to drain the hollow bit at the rear on the deck.

Oh the boat is a small mariner speed boat. Also I have a bilge pump (came with boat) is fitted in the hollow bit on deck. That bit only holds about a bucket of water is the bilge pump right?

So back to my question if theres a bilge? on the deck why the plug at the bottom of the V?

Is it normal for water to go into the hull?

Thanks

Re: Why 2 plugs

well the hole at the bottom on the v is the hull drain. every thing from your bilge will drain out there when you pull the plug. i have the same setup on my boat with one level with the deck i was told that it was a scupper and lets water out. so next time you go out on your boat check if it is about or below the water line.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The one at the bottom of the transom is your hull/bilge drain. You have that on almost all boats. Plug that when on the water.

The upper one is usually a scupper or a splashwell drain. That needs to be open most of the time. If it is below the waterline your boat is improperly trimmed.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I'd like to see photos. It's possible the bottom plug is to drain an "inner hull" and the higher one is the primary drain. What is going on inside the lower plug hole?

zoe26

Recruit

Thanks for the replys, Home cookin I will pop a photo up tomorrow to let you see the 2 plugs,